• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stupid question? and you can laugh!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? tx

can i have a gargage sale while going thru divorce? i know not to sell any joint property, but like kids clothing and mine? kids old toys? any house ware stuff that was given to me as gifts, like candle holders and junk like that?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? tx

can i have a gargage sale while going thru divorce? i know not to sell any joint property, but like kids clothing and mine? kids old toys? any house ware stuff that was given to me as gifts, like candle holders and junk like that?
Technically, you can not dispose of any assets while the divorce is pending. Is there a reason you absolutely have to have the garage sale right now?

If you really feel like you need to do it, you could get stbx to sign an agreement that you will have the garage sale and put the proceeds back into your joint account. Even my ex wouldn't have raised a stink about that, but I would still ask your attorney next time you're on the phone with him, because it may be a technical violation.

no i don't have to have one now, my mom was going to use my house to have one and the kids have so many clothes that are stuck in my gargage and toys that i cleaned out incase we had to have a home study done, i was just wanting to get my daughter some new bedding and curtains for her room, my father in-law let us have some paint and we did that, i was just wanting to do something nice for her since she has been helping with her little brother so much. i don't think my ex would make a big deal about it, he knows my mother has been buying our grocies and that right now we don't have any play money for the kids or self, but i don't know, i didn't think we would ever get divorce. so i was just checking, i was embarsed to call my lawyer for the question?

i didn't know the kids stuff was included in house hold stuff, i was told to count everything except what was in the kid's rooms when doing our list of items?

thank you for your help.

mistoffolees

no i don't have to have one now, my mom was going to use my house to have one and the kids have so many clothes that are stuck in my gargage and toys that i cleaned out incase we had to have a home study done, i was just wanting to get my daughter some new bedding and curtains for her room, my father in-law let us have some paint and we did that, i was just wanting to do something nice for her since she has been helping with her little brother so much. i don't think my ex would make a big deal about it, he knows my mother has been buying our grocies and that right now we don't have any play money for the kids or self, but i don't know, i didn't think we would ever get divorce. so i was just checking, i was embarsed to call my lawyer for the question?

i didn't know the kids stuff was included in house hold stuff, i was told to count everything except what was in the kid's rooms when doing our list of items?

thank you for your help.
If your attorney told you not to include the kids' stuff in household goods, then I wouldn't worry about selling the kid's stuff, at least.

thank you, i know it would seem like a simple question or answer, but i was not sure. when your going thru a divorce you start fighting over the stupid things, like you takes the christmas lights off the house that are still up in june, lol!

so i was not sure how a gargage sell would fit into the whole mess.

thank you again, hopefully the question made someone's day brighter.

penelope10

thank you, i know it would seem like a simple question or answer, but i was not sure. when your going thru a divorce you start fighting over the stupid things, like you takes the christmas lights off the house that are still up in june, lol!

so i was not sure how a gargage sell would fit into the whole mess.

thank you again, hopefully the question made someone's day brighter.
Your question was not stupid at all.(Per the name of the post). If fact it was a very good question to ask for someone going through a divorce.

Dumb would have been to have the garage sale, sold stuff you shouldn't have, and then come on the forum and said,"What do I do, I'm in trouble!" Trying to dot your i's and cross your t's is a very good thing to do. Shows you are thinking ahead while going through a very emotional time in your life. Kudos!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">