• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bullsi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida
I was just handed a subpoena from a non-official person to appear in court over a divorce for my roommate. This subpoena states that I have to produce my personal financial records and if I don't show up I will be in contempt of court! Is this legal? What does my finances have to do with his divorce? Neither parties of the divorce is represented by an attorney.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida
I was just handed a subpoena from a non-official person to appear in court over a divorce for my roommate. This subpoena states that I have to produce my personal financial records and if I don't show up I will be in contempt of court! Is this legal? What does my finances have to do with his divorce? Neither parties of the divorce is represented by an attorney.
Q: Is this legal?

A: Based SOLELY on your info, yes.

What do you have to do with this divorce?

LdiJ

I don't have any thing to do with this divorce other than he is living in my house.
I would recommend consulting with an attorney of your own. Requiring you to produce your financial records for a roommate's divorce may not be valid. You may be able to quash the subpeona.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I would recommend consulting with an attorney of your own. Requiring you to produce your financial records for a roommate's divorce may not be valid. You may be able to quash the subpeona.
Is the roommate also a lover? Does the roommate give you money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">