• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena of cheating spouse's work emails?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorid555

Connecticut-

My husband is divorcing me, claiming that I have neglected him for our baby. In fact, he has been cheating on me with a series of women for the past two years. I need to prove fault for the property distriubtion and the best evidence is contained in his work emails exchanged with his girlfriends. Can I get a subpoena to obtain those company e-mails and, if so, what is the proper language to put into the subpoena? Please help! He controls all of the money and I am having trouble getting legal help. Many thanks!

LdiJ

Connecticut-

My husband is divorcing me, claiming that I have neglected him for our baby. In fact, he has been cheating on me with a series of women for the past two years. I need to prove fault for the property distriubtion and the best evidence is contained in his work emails exchanged with his girlfriends. Can I get a subpoena to obtain those company e-mails and, if so, what is the proper language to put into the subpoena? Please help! He controls all of the money and I am having trouble getting legal help. Many thanks!
Beg or borrow money from family to get yourself an attorney. Its simply too difficult to successfully deal with subpeonas when you are trying to represent yourself.

Plus, if he controls all of the money you are going to need a good attorney to make sure that you get your fair share of the marital assets.

He may end up paying for your attorney, but you will at least have to come up with the retainer....so PLEASE, for your own best interest get the money from somewhere.

nextwife

You may have a very hard time getting the EMPLOYER'S email records. Especially for a fishing expedition. What is the nature of his business? Might there be client confidentiality issues if they turn his emails over to you? Are there some specific emails you are asking for, or did you want to look through all his emails?

Last edited:

lorid555

Limited request- no fishing

I know the names and even the email accounts of the girlfriends. They are not clients of the company. My husband blatantly abused the use of his company email, sending all of these personal messages. The company's right to protect its internal secrets would not be affected in any way.

LdiJ

I know the names and even the email accounts of the girlfriends. They are not clients of the company. My husband blatantly abused the use of his company email, sending all of these personal messages. The company's right to protect its internal secrets would not be affected in any way.
That may be totally true....but I honestly don't think that you will get squat without an attorney in your corner. Even WITH an attorney it may be difficult.

lorid555

I do plan to have an attorney obtain the subpoena. I just wondered if anyone has had any previous experience with this type of matter. Also, this company is very strict in its email policies and may embrace the chance to investigate this.

nextwife

If YOU have a financial stake in his continued employment (will you have child custody, need Child Support? Trying to get SS?"), you may want to rethink the wisdom of messing around with his job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">