• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for bills even though separated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sabsemn70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
My husband has threatened to sue me for utility bills for the time that he was in the house by himself. I served him with an order for protection on August 20, 2010 and lived in the house until October 15th, that is when I found an apartment and moved out. I paid the utilitity bills while I lived there. Now he is saying he wants to sue me for the time after, because we are not legally separated and the house is in both of our names. He got himself fired from his job, and the house is going into forclosure. He is not looking for another job, and refuses to pay child support. Does he even have a leg to stand on with this threat?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My husband has threatened to sue me for utility bills for the time that he was in the house by himself. I served him with an order for protection on August 20, 2010 and lived in the house until October 15th, that is when I found an apartment and moved out. I paid the utilitity bills while I lived there. Now he is saying he wants to sue me for the time after, because we are not legally separated and the house is in both of our names. He got himself fired from his job, and the house is going into forclosure. He is not looking for another job, and refuses to pay child support. Does he even have a leg to stand on with this threat?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why didn't you pay the mortgage? Why did you move out of the house? He doesn't have to pay child support unless there is a court order directing him to do so.

nextwife

If you are on the mortgage, your duty to your creditor/mortgage lender to pay the debt you owe them does not change based on your choice of residence location.

LdiJ

In my Opinion, no. The mortgage company would have a leg to stand on for the mortgage, but the utilities were for solely his benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">