• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue the mistress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Breuklynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, Can I sue my husband's mistress for having a child with him? A woman from MD told me she can in her state.

Isis1

If you want to sue someone, your husband seems to be the appropriate party to go after.
you can sue her (you can sue anyone in a legal sense) but you may not have grounds to win. i think there is only one state that won an Alienation of Affeciton Suit, but i believe that law was updated a few years back since.

but yes, definitely sue your husband for a divorce.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York, Can I sue my husband's mistress for having a child with him? A woman from MD told me she can in her state.
And in all likelihood your husband is going to be responsible for child support.

Think very, very carefully - his decision can impact you enormously, and that's one heck of a thing to successfully carry through a marriage.

(though it's not impossible)

But no, you can't sue his mistress, as the others said.

mistoffolees

you can sue her (you can sue anyone in a legal sense) but you may not have grounds to win. i think there is only one state that won an Alienation of Affeciton Suit, but i believe that law was updated a few years back since.

but yes, definitely sue your husband for a divorce.
Note that in NY, his adultery can affect the divorce decree.

If you're been married long enough and your incomes are unequal enough for alimony to be an issue, adultery can affect whether it is awarded at all or how much is awarded.

Property division can also be affected to any extent that he might have dissipated marital assets on his girlfriend.

Breuklynn

Oh Im suing him too for child support and spousal support but I when a friend who's going through the same situation in Maryland told me she spoke with a lawyer and in her state she can sue the childbearing mistress for breaking up her marriage.

Proserpina

Oh Im suing him too for child support and spousal support but I when a friend who's going through the same situation in Maryland told me she spoke with a lawyer and in her state she can sue the childbearing mistress for breaking up her marriage.
Which is fine, but that's not your state.

How long were you married?

mistoffolees

That's great. Now all you have to do is move to Maryland and convince him and his mistress to move there, too.

Strumpits might think twice about sleeping with a married man if they thought they might get sued.

I am sorry that you are going through this. You have my sympathy. Sincerely.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Strumpits might think twice about sleeping with a married man if they thought they might get sued.

I am sorry that you are going through this. You have my sympathy. Sincerely.
Well, let's think about this.

Who promised fidelity in his wedding vows?

Clue: It wasn't the mistress

Who broke that promise and let the other party down?

Clue: It wasn't the mistress

Who is the only person in this situation who wife should blame?

Clue. It's not the mistress.

We all on the same page now?

(I hate to be picky but the word is "strumpets")

Last edited:

Golfball

That's great. Now all you have to do is move to Maryland and convince him and his mistress to move there, too.
North Carolina is another state that recognizes Alienation of Affection torts.

There aren't many states that recognize marital torts, most states have abolished them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">