• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the mistress? WA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rodeoflower

What is the name of your state? Washington State.

My mom's husband is cheating on her. She is planning on divorcing him. Because she has paid out several hundred thousand over the years for his child support and legal fees, she feels that the mistress who knew he was married should be forced to pay back some of that money. I have found in some states that the mistress can be sued for causing a divorce, are there any successful cases in Washington State? Has such a case been argued in Washington state? Does she need PI to prove it or does circumstancial evidence such as phone calls, change in behavior, lies, etc come in to account? My mom is very upset and currently not financially in a position to hire a PI. What should she do or what can she do to recoup some of her money and money for damages the mistress has caused?

Zephyr

rodeoflower said:

My mom's husband is cheating on her. She is planning on divorcing him.

good

Because she has paid out several hundred thousand over the years for his child support and legal fees,

that was just silly of her, she really has no recourse either unless they signed a loan agreement, and I'm not sure how strong that would be

she feels that the mistress who knew he was married should be forced to pay back some of that money.

no way- will never happen, mistress owes your mom nothing, the only one who owed your mom anything was her husband

I have found in some states that the mistress can be sued for causing a divorce, are there any successful cases in Washington State? Has such a case been argued in Washington state? Does she need PI to prove it or does circumstancial evidence such as phone calls, change in behavior, lies, etc come in to account?

I think most of those laws are no longer in effect

My mom is very upset and currently not financially in a position to hire a PI. What should she do or what can she do to recoup some of her money and money for damages the mistress has caused?

she could try to take him for everything he has just like any other normal person does in a hateful divorce

your mom needs a lawyer, they may even be able to get hubby to pay her legal fees

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rodeoflower said:

My mom's husband is cheating on her. She is planning on divorcing him. Because she has paid out several hundred thousand over the years for his child support and legal fees, she feels that the mistress who knew he was married should be forced to pay back some of that money. I have found in some states that the mistress can be sued for causing a divorce, are there any successful cases in Washington State? Has such a case been argued in Washington state? Does she need PI to prove it or does circumstancial evidence such as phone calls, change in behavior, lies, etc come in to account? My mom is very upset and currently not financially in a position to hire a PI. What should she do or what can she do to recoup some of her money and money for damages the mistress has caused?

My response:

No, all the way around. Washington has no such laws, like some of the Southern States. Washington is a "No-Fault", Community Property State. In other words, your State doesn't have "Fault" grounds, and basically doesn't care why two people are divorcing; e.g., "Irreconcilable Differences."

No, the girlfriend has no financial responsibility to Mom. The marital estate will be divided upon dissolution of the marriage.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">