• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sujbect to U.K. law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BStarbuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I was married in the U.K. in May but we never filed for a Spousal Visa. I am now in the process of divorcing him (suffice to say he has proven to be a horrible person :() and have filed for divorce here in the U.S. Am I still subject to U.K. marriage laws? I mean, I have filed for a divorce over here as a U.S. citizen opting for a faster and clean break wherein no one is blamed and no one owes the other anything (and I've already paid for it). He is fighting my petition saying HE filed for divorce first (although I never received anything from him) and wants to drag it out until next year and is threatening to make me pay for it all if I fight him on it (although I'm sure he wants to make me pay regardless).

Understand all of this is after I gave up everything for him (job, car, family, etc.) to be with him, and when I returned here, he left me penniless. I'm diligently looking for work but have come up with nothing so far in this difficult economy and was denied unemployment. I'm in a rut and I can't help but feel like he's delighting in my struggle and would happily add to it if he could. I just want out and he wants drama.

Any advice or insight?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">