• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summary Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marshall1982

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My wife and I have been separated for 3 months now. In 3 months she wants to file for a summary divorce. I don't want a divorce. I requested marriage counseling and she denied. She has admitted to an affair, so I have grounds to file for a fault divorce, but I don't want to do that. Why? Because I'm drawing $750 a month from a Housing Allowance the military gives her. She is required to give it to me. I know it's greedy, but by her asking me to leave, I lost everything. I just consider it a sure fire way to get my money back. She spent all my savings. She talked me into selling my car in January to help pay her college debt off. I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere and barely surviving, while she is living the same life, with some kid in California. She's the devil.

Anyway, emotions aside, I wanted to know if I could ignore her request for a summary divorce. Isn't that something we both have to file? If I don't file, it won't go through... am I right? If that is true, then I can extend the marriage until May 2009 because Tennessee has a 2 year separation law to file a no-fault divorce. Is this all true? Can I really ignore her request for a summary divorce? Thanks.

Also, she is in the military. Her state of residency is listed as Tennessee even though she resides in California. Can she file in California even though we got married in Tennessee?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My wife and I have been separated for 3 months now. In 3 months she wants to file for a summary divorce. I don't want a divorce. I requested marriage counseling and she denied. She has admitted to an affair, so I have grounds to file for a fault divorce, but I don't want to do that. Why? Because I'm drawing $750 a month from a Housing Allowance the military gives her. She is required to give it to me. I know it's greedy, but by her asking me to leave, I lost everything. I just consider it a sure fire way to get my money back. She spent all my savings. She talked me into selling my car in January to help pay her college debt off. I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere and barely surviving, while she is living the same life, with some kid in California. She's the devil.

Anyway, emotions aside, I wanted to know if I could ignore her request for a summary divorce. Isn't that something we both have to file? If I don't file, it won't go through... am I right? If that is true, then I can extend the marriage until May 2009 because Tennessee has a 2 year separation law to file a no-fault divorce. Is this all true? Can I really ignore her request for a summary divorce? Thanks.

Also, she is in the military. Her state of residency is listed as Tennessee even though she resides in California. Can she file in California even though we got married in Tennessee?
Yes, she can file in CA or in TN.

LdiJ

Ha. This is obviously not a pro-marriage website. I bet you drive a BMW.

Thanks for the advice.

Its a LEGAL website, with legal responses...and no, I don't drive a BMW, I drive a Dodge Caravan...and its an older one...LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">