+ Reply to Thread
    Cross Hair is offline Member

Is support pre tax money?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Neither of us has filed papers yet, we are trying to figure things out first to avoid a lot of attorney expenses so I just have a quick question.

Is spousal support paid with pre tax dollars? This will have a pretty big inpact on weather I can afford to keep our house or not.

Thanks,
    Cooper
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross Hair View Post

Neither of us has filed papers yet, we are trying to figure things out first to avoid a lot of attorney expenses so I just have a quick question.

Is spousal support paid with pre tax dollars? This will have a pretty big inpact on weather I can afford to keep our house or not.

Thanks,
    Cooper
    The person RECEIVING spousal support pays the taxes on it.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    tranquility is offline Senior Member
    DANGER to the pro se divorce. Alimony reduces the payer's adjusted gross income. Alimony has a very specific meaning under IRS regulations. If it is so important so as to stay in your house, see a tax professional to make sure your agreement will fall under the regulations.
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal View Post
    The person RECEIVING spousal support pays the taxes on it.
    And the person paying it can deduct it from income. HOWEVER, the rules are quite strict, so OP should make sure they understand the rules and, ideally, consult with a tax professional. For example, if the amount paid drops off too quickly over time, it is considered property settlement rather than spousal support.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross Hair View Post

Thanks,
    Cooper
    Alimony/spousal support is tax deductible to the payor, and taxable income to the payee.

However, it is not pretax dollars in the sense that health insurance or a 401k is pretax dollars. Your employer won't treat it as pretax dollars, but you would get the benefit of deducting it from income on your tax return.