• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspicion of Pregnancy mid Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhilE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Basically I still carry the Health Ins whilst we wait for the final ruling and therefore I see all the EOBs etc. She has been seeing her OB doc 3 times a month for the past 3 months....I guess there could be another explanation but my suspicion is that she is pregnant. She has talked openly about her and her BF already "trying" to have kids (we have 2 kids together so i know that very regular OB visits in the first Trimester were common because of the high risk nature of both pregnancies...)

So that being said....emotion aside as i really could care less if she is pregnant....how is/could this effect me financially & legally...

Was this to happen I have a strong suspicion that after taking 3 months for maternity she probably would not go back to work...so then I suppose she will be looking to hit me up for more CS for our 2 kids.....

We have a meeting scheduled at the end of this month to discuss final terms for the MSA....would this dynamic effect anything i should/should not agree to in the MSA....I don't feel like I can just come out and as her as its not really my business...

In research on my own i've read that the divorce might need to go on hold till after the baby is born (my math puts that somewhere between Feb & march...) and that my name might end up on the Birth Certificate....not to mention the initial CS issues until I can prove the baby isn't mine (It isn't!!!)

The Temp Orders state that - "The respondent shall keep in force any hospital, medical, health and dental insurance currently in existence and shall make no changes to the policy. Any existing or future uninsured prescription drug charges or health/dental expenses for the care of the children shall be shared equally between the parties. Any uninsured prescription drug charges or health/dental expenses for a party shall be the sole responsibility of the party receiving such care." - I think that means i'm not going to get hit for paying for the birth etc....

Anything else I should be doing now or preparing for.....?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Congratulations daddy.

Add one more to the child support bill. Be aware that your divorce will be delayed. Ask her if you should decorate the room in pink or blue. Go for custody.

PhilE

Ohiogal that is not even close to funny ;)

Are you being serious on the divorce delayed stuff ? - I've seen conflicting info pointing both ways...

PhilE

crud...

So can i use this as a reason to change the temp orders and get her off my health insurance at least**************not even close to excited that i'm paying for her prenatal care on another mans child....not to mention the birth...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
crud...

So can i use this as a reason to change the temp orders and get her off my health insurance at least**************not even close to excited that i'm paying for her prenatal care on another mans child....not to mention the birth...
NO you cannot drop her from your health insurance. HOWEVER, what you can do is file for a modification of temporary orders that she is responsible for all of her out of pocket health costs. You are the legal father of this child. You will also need to petition the court to disestablish paternity and deny that you are the child's father.

PhilE

The wording of my Temp Orders is posted above but i thought i was already covered for out of pocket expenses....

So by being the Legal father does that mean my names going to end up on the Birth Certificate ?

Also do i have a leg to stand on if i wanted to make the argument that any legal fees i incur that are 100% based on the additional paperwork for the baby that she should cover those costs....or will most of the work be on her attorney not mine ?

By delayed are we talking post birth delay or just as long as it takes to get the additional paperwork filed.....

My thinking is that now she has a pre-existing condition its in her interest to drag this out until post birth so she can keep me paying for her health ins....

Some Random Guy

Delay will likely be until after the birth. If you announce to the court that you want your legal child to go without healthcare coverage, then you will look like a total a**. Petition instead for changes to who pays for the health insurance. Until a judge says otherwise, this is your child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The wording of my Temp Orders is posted above but i thought i was already covered for out of pocket expenses....

Yes you are covered by that language. You need to keep her there though.

So by being the Legal father does that mean my names going to end up on the Birth Certificate ?
Yep. Most likely.

Also do i have a leg to stand on if i wanted to make the argument that any legal fees i incur that are 100% based on the additional paperwork for the baby that she should cover those costs....or will most of the work be on her attorney not mine ?
You can petition that any fees incurred due to the pregnancy be paid by her if a DNA test shows that the baby is not yours.

By delayed are we talking post birth delay or just as long as it takes to get the additional paperwork filed.....

Post birth.

My thinking is that now she has a pre-existing condition its in her interest to drag this out until post birth so she can keep me paying for her health ins....
She doesn't have to try to drag it out post birth. Most courts (as in 99.9%) will not grant a divorce while wifey is pregnant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">