• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking the kids out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firedawgscott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az
I have 4 children only one of which is mine biologically but the others fathers are not around, I did not adopt any of them, 2 of the "step" want to stay with me and my wife whom I'm separated from wants to move out of state with the other 2 including my bio child, If I let her what power do I retain in visitation and custody, and if we do fire for divorce can I require it be done in Az?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az
I have 4 children only one of which is mine biologically but the others fathers are not around, I did not adopt any of them, 2 of the "step" want to stay with me and my wife whom I'm separated from wants to move out of state with the other 2 including my bio child, If I let her what power do I retain in visitation and custody, and if we do fire for divorce can I require it be done in Az?
You can ask AZ court that your child not be moved from the district / state.

Was your child born in the marriage?

If you fire for a divorce, you will need a new attorney.. lol just kidding.

You can file for divorce, in AZ and address all the visitation and custody at that time. I don't know that a judge will grant you any rights to the kids that aren't yours, but stranger things have happened.

Get a lawyer soon. (before she takes the kids.)

LdiJ

You can ask AZ court that your child not be moved from the district / state.

Was your child born in the marriage?

If you fire for a divorce, you will need a new attorney.. lol just kidding.

You can file for divorce, in AZ and address all the visitation and custody at that time. I don't know that a judge will grant you any rights to the kids that aren't yours, but stranger things have happened.

Get a lawyer soon. (before she takes the kids.)
There are some handful of cases I am aware of where a stepparent has received visitation after a divorce, but never custody unless truly extreme circumstances exist. However even visitation is pretty rare.

Therefore, the only child that the OP could possibly prevent from leaving the state (unless the mother agrees to give him custody) is his own biological child.

Therefore he had best hope that mom agrees that the two who want to stay with him, can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">