• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking too long

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HappyGuy1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My stbx and I began a very nasty divorce after infedelity on her part and me working too much, she filed for the divorce. Regardless of the situation then things have settled and mainly because of our children, both of whom are toddlers. I have been back and forth with her about expediting the process of the divorce. She was hesitent at first but now has even signed a termination of status only form. It has been difficult to proceed with the divorce because by the looks of it every form and dissclosure my lawyer sends in to the courts gets rejected. Apparently her lawyer has not submitted any of my ex's information and I don't know if its because my ex is purposely delaying this or because her lawyer doesn't act on this case. I have case process online and do not understand a lot of the terms, can anyone help me with understanding what is really going on? My lawyers has contacted me and said that messages have been left on her part but no response from the 'petitioners' lawyer.:confused: How can I get this done and over with?? It has been almost a yr and a half already since the divorce began...:(

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My stbx and I began a very nasty divorce after infedelity on her part and me working too much, she filed for the divorce. Regardless of the situation then things have settled and mainly because of our children, both of whom are toddlers. I have been back and forth with her about expediting the process of the divorce. She was hesitent at first but now has even signed a termination of status only form. It has been difficult to proceed with the divorce because by the looks of it every form and dissclosure my lawyer sends in to the courts gets rejected. Apparently her lawyer has not submitted any of my ex's information and I don't know if its because my ex is purposely delaying this or because her lawyer doesn't act on this case. I have case process online and do not understand a lot of the terms, can anyone help me with understanding what is really going on? My lawyers has contacted me and said that messages have been left on her part but no response from the 'petitioners' lawyer.:confused: How can I get this done and over with?? It has been almost a yr and a half already since the divorce began...:(
Get a better lawyer.

While a better lawyer can't ensure that it won't be dragged out, there's absolutely no reason why 'every form gets rejected'. If the forms are properly prepared and submitted, they won't be rejected. That doesn't guarantee that there won't be a rebuttal from the other side, but the forms should be accepted.

The attorney needs to go to court and request a final hearing due to nonresponsiveness from the other side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">