• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax issues during separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riclag

Massachusetts: I'm currently going through a divorce. 2004 taxes ,should they be filed jointly or separately. I believe there is a large tax refund that could benifit me .
Cap Gains on sale of house whats the tax law, on CG tax, Is there a one time pardon from tax on the sale of the house .

sddad

If both of you are making equal payment on the house then it makes sense to file jointly and split the return or tax due.

LdiJ

riclag said:
Massachusetts: I'm currently going through a divorce. 2004 taxes ,should they be filed jointly or separately. I believe there is a large tax refund that could benifit me .
Cap Gains on sale of house whats the tax law, on CG tax, Is there a one time pardon from tax on the sale of the house .
You may file together if you both agree to do so, or you may file separately if you don't. If you were separated for the last 6 months of 2004, you can be considered unmarried for tax purposes.

As long as the home was your principal residence for 2 of the last 5 years, your capital gains are not taxable. This is NOT a one time exclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">