• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meisjo

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My husband left in July. We don't go to court til March for the actual divorce. Are we still legally married or are we legally separated? Do I have to file joint taxes (which means his X will once again get my taxes).
He's not put one cent toward house payments,mutual bills,or child support (we go to court for that in Jan.)
Meisjo

LdiJ

meisjo said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My husband left in July. We don't go to court til March for the actual divorce. Are we still legally married or are we legally separated? Do I have to file joint taxes (which means his X will once again get my taxes).
He's not put one cent toward house payments,mutual bills,or child support (we go to court for that in Jan.)
Meisjo
Yes, you are still legally married until the time that the divorce becomes final.
No, you are absolutely NOT required to file joint taxes. In fact, you wouldn't be required to do that even if you were still living together.

If the children are living with you then you are entitled to file head of household status and to claim the exemptions for the child(ren) as he cannot demonstrate that he has contributed more than 50% of their support. (since he has not paid child support).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">