• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas divorce law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nadia_novia

Houston, Texas.

I am stuck in an irreconcilable domestic issue. After trying to concieve for past 5 yrs, I was not able to have a child. Now I have opted to give up fertility treatment, but my spouse is not happy about it. Our relationship has died because of this and we are living like roomates.

In Texas, how can I file for divorce, what is the easiest option? Can I just file for no-fault divorce and walk away? If my husband and inlaws don't agree what option and on what ground can I file?

What are the cost and time estimates to get a divorce in Texas? Please provide legal guidance.

Thanks.
Nadia

Last edited:

nextwife

What's wrong with adoption, Nadia?

You coulsd still give up fertility treatments yet get to be a parent. The world is full of amazing, wonderful children in need of families. A child who arrives in your arms as yours isn't any less lovable simply because they didn't first spend some time in your uterus.

Last edited:

nadia_novia

Nothing wrong with adoption, except that I will be be constantly reminded of my infertile shortcoming. My spouse & inlaws want their own blood and they will compromise with adoption , but life will be miserable for both me and adopted child. And Since we have to live together I don't want such a life for adopted child and myself.

Please provide me legal advice. I want to weigh my options. Thx.

mommyof4

Here is the link for the TX family code. There is just too much for me to copy and paste, so just read.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/fa.toc.htm

I advise you to consult an atty.

mistoffolees

Nothing wrong with adoption, except that I will be be constantly reminded of my infertile shortcoming. My spouse & inlaws want their own blood and they will compromise with adoption , but life will be miserable for both me and adopted child. And Since we have to live together I don't want such a life for adopted child and myself.

Please provide me legal advice. I want to weigh my options. Thx.
Then you don't have a legal problem, you should really seek counseling. If you're so insecure that the ability to have a child with your own genes causes your marriage to fail, a divorce won't help.

nadia_novia

We are already attending regular marriage counselling and as I said earlier, my spouse wants his own biological child thru me, no compromise on that. And if I force him for adoption , he will but it won't be of his interest. And I don't want to adopt a child and fight all my life, apply for divorce, go thru child costudy for alimony. Want to get out of an unhappy situation before it knock me out or locks me in a messy situation forever!

Silverplum

Thanks for the link, but I need legal advice for my particular situation.
It's all the same: divorce is divorce is divorce. You don't need anyone's approval, nor do you need a reason.

Cost depends upon whether or not you and he contest each other, whether or not you argue over stuff. Time is at least 6 months.

nextwife

How truly sad that your spouse isn't secure enough to welcome any child you and he would become parents to, and that he wouldn't care about your health and happiness enough to insist that you stop putting yourself through all that grief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">