• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Divorce - No fighting..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txdad2013

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My wife and I are getting a divorce. We are agreeing on everything and do not want a lawyer. We have two younger children together and have already worked out our custody. What will be the easiest and cheapest way to do this.

Our children are going to be 50/50
No Child support from either
alternating holidays
Vacation time in the summer
Dinner visits
We are not allowed to move out of the county

Where do I get forms to fill out and how does this work? Since we are agreeing on everything do we both have to go to court or can we get all the forms and one of us take them to get the judge to sign them? How much does this usually cost?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My wife and I are getting a divorce. We are agreeing on everything and do not want a lawyer. We have two younger children together and have already worked out our custody. What will be the easiest and cheapest way to do this.

Our children are going to be 50/50
No Child support from either
alternating holidays
Vacation time in the summer
Dinner visits
We are not allowed to move out of the county

Where do I get forms to fill out and how does this work? Since we are agreeing on everything do we both have to go to court or can we get all the forms and one of us take them to get the judge to sign them? How much does this usually cost?
http://www.courts.state.tx.us/pubs/pubs-home.asp

CS is fluid-which means as circumstances change, either parent could file for it. If either parent has to go on state aid, the state will file for CS from the other parent. In Texas, CS is figured on a percentage of the NCP's income.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/index.shtml
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.154.htm

single317dad

And will we both have to be there or can one of us take the forms to the court house and get them signeD?
That's up to the judge. Many times, if there's full agreement on all issues and everything is pretty standard, a judge will sign off on divorce papers as submitted. If something isn't right, or "normal", you may have to have a hearing(s). It's quite possible that you could be required to appear anyway; that's the judges prerogative.

Bali Hai

That's up to the judge. Many times, if there's full agreement on all issues and everything is pretty standard, a judge will sign off on divorce papers as submitted. If something isn't right, or "normal", you may have to have a hearing(s). It's quite possible that you could be required to appear anyway; that's the judges prerogative.
This is very true. The judge will define "normal".

I personally know a couple that did what OP and his wife are contemplating. They both worked and his retirement account was larger than his wifes retirement account. The wife did not want any of the husbands retirement. The judge held a hearing and tried to persuade the wife and insisted that she should take her share. The wife held fast that she didn't want it. The meddling judge delayed the divorce hoping she would change her mind, she didn't. The husband and I speculated and wondered if the judge would have been so persistent if the roles were reversed.

Coincidentally, I had that very same judge for my divorce. Thankfully (for future ex-husbands) the old codger (along with his crooked law clerk) is no longer on the bench.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">