• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a way?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gothvixen

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

When my husband and I decided to get divorced, we did it ourselves with out a lawyer because we can't afford one. Our divorce isn't final at this moment. Our hearing is scheduled for the end of the month.

We have no children and no property to split.

The only thing that is now concerning me is that we bought a car last year and both of our names are on the title and loan. I was told by the company we have the loan through [Nuvell/National Auto] if there was a way to take one of the names off the loan and I was told the only way to do this is if the car is either paid off or refinanced.

Is this true? I thought there was a way to take my name off if we were getting divorced.

Does anyone know? :confused:

Thanks!

annefan

The only way to remove a name is to pay the debt in full or one who remains on the auto assume financial responsibility through re-financing the loan. Whatever you have stipulated into your divorce decree is not binding to the lienholder, thus you both would be responsible equally for the loan.

J

jaa4d

That is exactly right! When my ex and I split it was about a year after we had bought a truck jointly. He kept the truck and made the payments, but I wasn't able to get my name off the title or loan until he had paid for it. Unfortunately, he was unable to get approved for refinancing. Luckily, he made every payment on time. But, when I was looking to get another loan, this one showed up on my credit report as one of my obligations. It stays there until it's paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">