• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Things don't seem right with papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kkc1

My husband and I separated last summer. We agreed on getting an amicable divorce. He filed. I have NOT however been served any legal papers whatsoever! Until yesterday...I got A piece of paper....that merely states a date for a final hearing. My question is: I DID NOT get 'served' with papers notifying me I am being sued for Divorce. Is that LEGAL.....just getting a paper with a final hearing date?? Seems unfair to me!

D

dorenephilpot

Yes, you have to get notice of the divorce, either by receiving the paperwork or by publication of an ad, if he doesn't know where you are.

What I would do is go to the court where it was filed (you can go to the clerk's office of the county court where it was filed) and ask which court it was filed in. Then you can go to the court and ask to see the file. All the documents in your case will be in that file.

You can make copies of anything you wish.

If you see anything fishy, you can contest it, stating that you did not receive the petition or any other documents.

If you do not see anything fishy, then relax and figure your papers got lost in the mail.

Then GO to the final hearing, regardless....

K

kkc1

Thank You much dphilpotlaw

I appreciate your answering me here in this forum. I am living back in my home state of Michigan now but will have to travel back to Maine [where I lived before separation] - to attend the hearing. The dadte is the 20th of December, I think he is hoping I won't leave my family at the Holiday time. He WILL be disappointed!

MUCH THANKS for your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">