• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

conlonrs

What is the name of your state? The state is Arkansas....My current husband has been divorced since 1994... In the divorce settlement he was suppose to receive money for some cattle that was left on the farm... Is it too late to do anything about this.. ( he has not received a penny in this matter )

M

MaggieK

Courts retain jurisdiction over divorce decrees forever. Has he contacted his spouse, in writing, certified, registered mail, return receipt requested, regarding the matter? That would be my first move. Give her 10 days to respond then he can take the matter back to court.

M

MaggieK

My suggestion is to read the last page, last paragraph of your Decree of Divovce. It will read as follows:

IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED, ADJUDGED AND DECREED, that plaintiff, bla bla, be granted an absolute divorce from defendant, bla bla bla, that the parties be restored to all rights and privileges of a single and unmarried person; that the property and debt shall be divided as set out above; and the Court retains jurisdiction of this cause of action for the purpose of enforcing the rights and obligations of the parties under this Decree and for other proper purposes.

No stipulation for a time limit of 10 years.

Divorce decrees are not subject to the statute of limitations as civil suits. If the 10 yr rule applied...and you have a 1year old child, at the time of the decree, whose non-custodial parent stops paying child support after 10 years with 7 years left to pay..are you suppose to start all over again?

Dont take my word for it, read your decree. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">