• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limit on getting stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doingmybestaz

What is the name of your state?AZ How long does someone have to get their "stuff" after the divorce is filed/finalized? And can they still go after stuff all of a sudden that wasn't awarded originally?

seniorjudge

Q: How long does someone have to get their "stuff" after the divorce is filed/finalized?

A: There is generally a time limit in the judgment of the lawsuit. If there is not and the parties cannot agree, the court will need to decide when the cut off date is. Of course, that will entail a lot of time and a lot of money to reopen the lawsuit.

Q: And can they still go after stuff all of a sudden that wasn't awarded originally?

A: No.

doingmybestaz

This is what happened a friend got divorced a little over two years ago and it finalized two years in about 3 weeks. He was awarded specific items and picked up all of them except a table saw right after the divorce as he had an injury that made it to heavy for him to get and it was left outside under a tarp for the past two years.

Well she has been paying some of the credit cards that he was supposed to pay as well as hers because they were after her and her credit was getting ruined. All but one that she faught with them because they wouldn't cancle it back when the balance was low when they divorced. Well last night the credit company served him with papers that they were suing him. He left a message saying he got papers that he was being sued for the credit card and he was going to be over in a half hour to pick up all the rest of the stuff he thinks he should be intilted to. The only specific thing he hadn't gotten from the list he E-mailed her was the table saw. Well she didn't answer his call because she didn't want to talk on the phone to him. He ended up taking the table saw that was outside , a tarp, a car battery, and her dolly. Then an hour later called and left another message saying don't think this is over I will come night after night if I have to untill I get everything that I'm entitled to . He says he should get all the tools and a bunch of other stuff but the stuff he's asking for none of it is specifically spelled out and he's the one that even filled the paperwork.

Please advise. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">