• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time period for annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deadissue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Was married out of state 40 days ago, can I get an annulment?

She hasn't phsyically cheated on me but I caught her making plans to run away with some dude on the internet.

It's become apparent to me that she married me just to divorce me

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

She hasn't phsyically cheated on me but I caught her making plans to run away with some dude on the internet.

Get a divorce.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

She married you just to divorce you? What would be the point of that?

mistoffolees

The specific answer was given by Zigner. Get a divorce. You don't have grounds for an annulment and the divorce will be cheaper and quicker, anyway.

I'm just having a hard time with the concept of someone getting married just so they can get a divorce. Unless you're a multi-zillionaire rock star, that just doesn't make sense. The majority of your assets will clearly be separate and she will have no claim on them in a divorce.

deadissue

She is convinced that the house is hers or part hers.

It's titled/mortgage in my name, bought it just a year ago.

But based the apprasial there is about 30k of equity in there so I think she has her eyes on that

TinkerBelleLuvr

File a divorce, like yesterday. She would be eligible to receive half of any gain that could be proved to have happen in the past 40 days. Oh, and half the debt that may have been incurred in the past 40 days. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">