• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

title deeds and mortgage (UK law)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katew

My husband and I legally separated with a deed of separation in August 2008. We have two children together with a shared care, no maintenance agreement. On separation, I paid him half the equity of the property at the time and we split all other debts. I also gave him money to furnish his new rented house.

We are planning to divorce once 2 years of separation are up. I currently pay all the mortgage etc. and have done since he moved out. He has not been removed from the mortgage or the deeds of the house as we just haven't got round to it.

He has now got himself in quite a bit of debt and wants removing from the mortgage so he can get a larger loan. I am currently unemployed due to recent redundancy and so cannot take him off the mortgage yet. He is saying that as he is still on the deeds of the house he can force me to sell.

My questions are:
can he force me to sell?
would he be entitled to even more equity from me even though I have already paid a substantial amount to him?

Thanks you for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">