• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TN Property -- I hope people look on the 4th

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

krbeckett

I am in Tennesse and have a question.

My husband had an affair and when confronted he took our vehicle and left. He went to another state and I am in the process of filing for divorce. Legally, we are still married. I will be visiting family in that state soon and I am wondering if that vehicle is still legally mine as much as it is his since we are still married.

Thanks

H

hexeliebe

Depends on if your name is on the title or not.

Community property doesn't occur until a divorce proceeding is in place.

K

krbeckett

We've been married 10 years and bought the car together about a year ago. I can't remember which names are on the title though. We came from another state, and in that state, marital property is as much one persons and it is the other's until a judge rules differently. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it is this way in Tennessee.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me though :)

H

hexeliebe

That's just what I told you.

If your name is on the title then he can't sell the car without your signature. Otherwise, he's probably in Kentucky by now at the race track.

K

krbeckett

HAHAHA are you sure you don't know him?!?!

Well..if it is as much mine as it is his and I still have my keys.. then I don't think he should have it :D

On the other hand, I dont wanna go to the pokey :p

JETX

Okay, lets make this REAL easy..... so that you can follow.

1) It doesn't matter what your 'other state' did.
2) When you registered the vehicle in Tennessee (where you live now, remember?), the title was issued in someones names(s). Is your name on the CURRENT title??
3) If it is, then you have equal right to posess the vehicle. Go get it, oh, and don't disturb the peace when getting it.
4) If your name is NOT on the current title, then you have NO right to possession of the vehicle.

Pretty simple, huh??

K

krbeckett

Goodness...

"either learn or leave"...are you always this plesant to people seeking help?

Thanks for taking the time to make me feel worse than I did to begin with....I will take your advice..

H

hexeliebe

Just remember krbeckett, people are here to help but a lot of times people who come here FOR help don't get the answer they think they should get and start this "What if" game.

JetX has taken time out of his schedule on a holiday to give you LEGAL advice that I tried to spoonfeed you.

But we both agree. IF your name is on the title, find the scoundrel, put the key in the ignition and have a hap-hap-happy drive home.

If it's not, don't touch the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">