• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late to refile/amend child support? Got new information about my ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tharp303

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

We are doing a "no-lawyer" divorce, completed mediation and reached a full agreement on all matters. He tried to do some fancy last-minute reconfiguring of the child support and I made extra concessions to be easier on him, we got all notarized on 2/14 and I filed it yesterday, supposedly the last step before the facilitators review docs and schedules our last court date. But I just found out he's trying to buy a brand new car and was trying to keep the support low so he could "afford" the payments. So 2 questions, 1) is it too late for me to change my mind and ask for more? he basically made me claim higher income than I actually earn, and lowered the percentage of time custody below what we had agreed in mediation. And 2) is $400/month decent or ridiculously low for 2 kids? Ages 8 and 5, both girls, I make under $3300/mo (before deductions/expenses for my home business) and he makes over $5300, although he does pay $300/month for their insurance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

We are doing a "no-lawyer" divorce, completed mediation and reached a full agreement on all matters. He tried to do some fancy last-minute reconfiguring of the child support and I made extra concessions to be easier on him, we got all notarized on 2/14 and I filed it yesterday, supposedly the last step before the facilitators review docs and schedules our last court date. But I just found out he's trying to buy a brand new car and was trying to keep the support low so he could "afford" the payments. So 2 questions, 1) is it too late for me to change my mind and ask for more? he basically made me claim higher income than I actually earn, and lowered the percentage of time custody below what we had agreed in mediation. And 2) is $400/month decent or ridiculously low for 2 kids? Ages 8 and 5, both girls, I make under $3300/mo (before deductions/expenses for my home business) and he makes over $5300, although he does pay $300/month for their insurance.
No $400 is not ridiculously low for 2 kids especially when he is paying $300 a month for their insurance. How much are you paying for their insurance? If you back out, expect this to become a contested divorce. How much money do you have to spend on a lawyer?

latigo

Would it interest you to know that given the figures you have provided that under your state's child support guidelines that the non custodial father's monthly obligation computes at twice the amount you have foolishly FULLY agreed upon! To be precise $827 per month.

You are selling your children short and you have no right to do that. And IT IS NOT TOO LATE! Nothing is final in this regard. That is unless you sit on your thumbs, continue to grovel before him and refuse to stand up for the rights of your children! Get some gumption and get your buns to an attorney's office, like yesterday. More than likely the court can require him to assist you in your legal fees. The disparity in income warrants it.

And I'll lay odds that this "no-lawyer-divorce" business was his and not your idea! It always is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">