• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Took My Bank Account Over??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gryndor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've been estranged from my husband for over a year now. Domestic abuse sent us in different directions. Today I discovered that my bank account has been wiped out, all funds transferred to another person's account at the same bank...

When I pitched a fit, they finally told me the name of the person: my estranged husband.

What recourse do I have? Is everything still "community property" because we're technically married though we haven't been within the same county since last year? Can I press charges?

What do I do now??

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've been estranged from my husband for over a year now. Domestic abuse sent us in different directions. Today I discovered that my bank account has been wiped out, all funds transferred to another person's account at the same bank...

When I pitched a fit, they finally told me the name of the person: my estranged husband.

What recourse do I have? Is everything still "community property" because we're technically married though we haven't been within the same county since last year? Can I press charges?

What do I do now??
Was this a joint account?

gryndor

No it wasn't... I've had this account for a year or so... his account is completely separate from mine.

Antigone*

No it wasn't... I've had this account for a year or so... his account is completely separate from mine.
Immediately call the bank and file a fraud claim. Your husband had no right to access that money, and the bank had no right to comply with his request. Be very insistent and don't take no for an answer.

gryndor

They've been completely unhelpful thus far... I've been on the phone with them all morning. They don't seem to think it's a problem because we're married!!!! :mad:

LdiJ

They've been completely unhelpful thus far... I've been on the phone with them all morning. They don't seem to think it's a problem because we're married!!!! :mad:
Get off the phone and go talk to them in person! Tell them that you did not authorize the funds to be withdrawn from your account and insist that they replace them. If they could take the money out of your account to give to him, they can certainly take it back out of his account and return it to you.:rolleyes:

Then, withdraw every penny of it from your account and close your account...and find another bank.

prumbley

I totally agree. The bank must refund the money to you. If they are FDIC insured, they should act as if the money was stolen (it really was).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">