• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tourist Wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnb2b

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My wife and I been married for 4 years, but the total time we lived together is about 18 months. She is now in the US on a tourist visa, which expires in August -- she came back after spending 1 year ovverseas. She started threatening me to get her green-card, and when I refused she had a temporary protective order issued against me.

I am not a violent person, but I have a misdemenor resisting arrest form 2 years ago. She had called police on me 3 times, none of the times involved abuse, threat or violence against her. She is on heavy depression medication and she gets upset fast.

During the last incident, she called police because I accused her of hiding some of my important documents in order to pressure me to sign her immigration papers. When police asked her if i assulted her, she said yes, and described an incident which tool placed the day before, she had no marks, but I did have scrateches. The policed did not do anything.

The apartment lease is in my name. She is not working because she does not have a work permit, and she had violated her visa by attending school and lying to immigration inspection officers.

She realizes that I have been very understanding of her medical conditions, and believes she can go back to a relationship and blame this on her medical condition, but now I want a way out. We both do not have witnesses, but she has many friends in the area, i dont.

I have few specific questions, and would appreciate answers:

1. Based on the facts above, what is the likelyhood that the judge will issue a restraining order against me?
2. What will happen to the appartment which has all my furniture and clothing.
3. Do I have to pay her anything becauyse she does not work?
Doest it matter that she can stay legally only for 3 more months?
4. Can I file charges for her assulting me, based ont he scratches witnessed by the officer?

Basically, this is the second time we give it a shot. last time when all failed I placed her in a hotel until her flight date, paid for her meals, gave her money to buy some gifts, then drover her to the airport. I even called to make sure she arrived safely.

Does the judge care about how I treated her int he past and the fact that I did alot in good faith to help our marriage? BTW, we do not have any other issues, the only issue is about the green-card.

Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My wife and I been married for 4 years, but the total time we lived together is about 18 months. She is now in the US on a tourist visa, which expires in August -- she came back after spending 1 year ovverseas. She started threatening me to get her green-card, and when I refused she had a temporary protective order issued against me.

I am not a violent person, but I have a misdemenor resisting arrest form 2 years ago. She had called police on me 3 times, none of the times involved abuse, threat or violence against her. She is on heavy depression medication and she gets upset fast.

During the last incident, she called police because I accused her of hiding some of my important documents in order to pressure me to sign her immigration papers. When police asked her if i assulted her, she said yes, and described an incident which tool placed the day before, she had no marks, but I did have scrateches. The policed did not do anything.

The apartment lease is in my name. She is not working because she does not have a work permit, and she had violated her visa by attending school and lying to immigration inspection officers.

She realizes that I have been very understanding of her medical conditions, and believes she can go back to a relationship and blame this on her medical condition, but now I want a way out. We both do not have witnesses, but she has many friends in the area, i dont.

I have few specific questions, and would appreciate answers:

1. Based on the facts above, what is the likelyhood that the judge will issue a restraining order against me?
2. What will happen to the appartment which has all my furniture and clothing.
3. Do I have to pay her anything becauyse she does not work?
Doest it matter that she can stay legally only for 3 more months?
4. Can I file charges for her assulting me, based ont he scratches witnessed by the officer?

Basically, this is the second time we give it a shot. last time when all failed I placed her in a hotel until her flight date, paid for her meals, gave her money to buy some gifts, then drover her to the airport. I even called to make sure she arrived safely.

Does the judge care about how I treated her int he past and the fact that I did alot in good faith to help our marriage? BTW, we do not have any other issues, the only issue is about the green-card.

Thanks in advance.
You have been married for 4 years and your wife still doesn't have a green card? It seems to me that that demonstrates a pretty huge LACK of good faith.

I doubt that she will get the restraining order against you, but you may get stuck with some temporary spousal support since its 100% your fault that she can't work.

johnb2b

Thank you for your response. You are right, there is lack of TRUST here. The fact that we have been married for 4 years and that she did not get her green-card as of yet -- it is due to her not deciding where she wants to live -- until I moved to a very nice city .. and she found friends and other luxuries she likes.

I must also mention that until she had the interum order issued against me, I was procrastinating with tax papers which were needed to do her documents, but I had 100% intent to finish with 2 weeks time. She wanted to have it done and work for few weeks so she can buy gifts before she leaves in the summer.

Beware of procrastination, taxes and in-laws gifts.

johnb2b

Interesting Development

Today, a friend of my wife who is mediating the issue informed me that my wife is ready to drop the accusations (for the Protective Order), if I sign her immigration papers.

I guess they do not want to drop the issue, instead they want to inform the judge that we have reached agreement !!!!!!!!! to pursue her papers for her (I know that is stupid to tell the judge -- she has an attorney, but he will likely stop her from saying that).

My question is: how should it be brought to the judge that we are going home together?

LdiJ

Today, a friend of my wife who is mediating the issue informed me that my wife is ready to drop the accusations (for the Protective Order), if I sign her immigration papers.

I guess they do not want to drop the issue, instead they want to inform the judge that we have reached agreement !!!!!!!!! to pursue her papers for her (I know that is stupid to tell the judge -- she has an attorney, but he will likely stop her from saying that).

My question is: how should it be brought to the judge that we are going home together?
Look...I know that I don't understand the ins and outs of your situation, but WHY are you opposed to signing the immigration papers? Why are you opposed to giving her legal status in the US?...and why didn't you do it before now? That is the thing that is the most unclear in your situation.

johnb2b

Here is an update, follwed by a twisted development.

I was given an order to harass her. I figured out, if it is her right not to be harrassed, then I can consent to the order.

I have not applied for her residency because she has those panic attacks, where she cries and tries to hurt herself, until I agree to send her home ... if she applies for residency and leaves, the application is voided. I am waiting until she starts responding to medication and settles.

The development is that her smart lawyer filed charges against me for 2nd degree assault. I received a phone call informing me that I have an arrest order in my name. NOw that everything else is fine, I have to deal with this new development.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">