• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trial approaching and refusal to settle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My divorce trial is less than a month away. My ex dropped his attorney and is representing himself to avoid paying attorney fees. We worked on custody and property issues for the last 9 months or so, and were able to agree on some of the issues. Communication between him, me, and our attorneys has not been easy, as I imagine it often happens. Now that we're in agreement on may of the issues, I'm asking him to try to settle before trial, I can't afford paying for the trial myself. He's refusing to settle and says he will not sign anything now that he doesn't have an attorney (I understand the point, but it was his choice to drop the attorney). I know that's just my opinion, but it seems like he's doing it out of spite to make me pay while he's not. Can I bring up his refusal to settle in court?

Silverplum

My divorce trial is less than a month away. My ex dropped his attorney and is representing himself to avoid paying attorney fees. We worked on custody and property issues for the last 9 months or so, and were able to agree on some of the issues. Communication between him, me, and our attorneys has not been easy, as I imagine it often happens. Now that we're in agreement on may of the issues, I'm asking him to try to settle before trial, I can't afford paying for the trial myself. He's refusing to settle and says he will not sign anything now that he doesn't have an attorney (I understand the point, but it was his choice to drop the attorney). I know that's just my opinion, but it seems like he's doing it out of spite to make me pay while he's not. Can I bring up his refusal to settle in court?
It's not against the law to refuse to settle.

And, just as it is his choice to drop his attorney, it is your choice to keep paying yours.

OHRoadwarrior

If you both come to an agreement you like, ask him to draw it up, so he is satisfied with it. Review it yourself, to make sure you are satisfied. Show it to your lawyer, to see if they approve. If all three are green lights, ask your lawyer to draw up an agreed upon entry. Everyone sign it and have your lawyer file it.

If you both come to an agreement you like, ask him to draw it up, so he is satisfied with it. Review it yourself, to make sure you are satisfied. Show it to your lawyer, to see if they approve. If all three are green lights, ask your lawyer to draw up an agreed upon entry. Everyone sign it and have your lawyer file it.
Thank you, this is exactly what I'd like to do but he's refusing to.

Bali Hai

Sounds like you both need to be in agreement on ALL the issues before he commits. Sweeten the pot or let the judge decide.

And NO, he won't be sanctioned by the court for not agreeing with YOUR terms of settlement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sounds like you both need to be in agreement on ALL the issues before he commits. Sweeten the pot or let the judge decide.

And NO, he won't be sanctioned by the court for not agreeing with YOUR terms of settlement.
Nobody said anything about sanctions Bali.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">