• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trial before the court??????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texasgirl83

Trial before the court??? and another problem

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am in the process of a divorce and my ex to be has now gotten a lawyer.I recieved a letter saying that there is trial date?????What is this all about.Please help.I have done everything to get the done.

Need some advice quick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? Tx
Yesterdaay I recieved a letter from my laywer saying that My ex to be has not come to a settlement and she has not heard from his laywer.Well I caalled his laywer and He is a judge,He said that He has not recieved any paper work at all.She also wants another 1,000 for having a trial or she will remove her self from the case.What do I do.This has been going on from 1year.HELP PLEASE.I can not pay her any more .I have given her over 2,000 now.This was to simple but she is taaking her time.What do I do.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
texasgirl83 said:
I am in the process of a divorce and my ex to be has now gotten a lawyer.I recieved a letter saying that there is trial date?????What is this all about.Please help.I have done everything to get the done.
Trial dates are common with divorces. You have to go to court and testify as to why the marriage needs to end in divorce. You need to talk to an attorney.

ceara19

Ohiogal said:
Trial dates are common with divorces. You have to go to court and testify as to why the marriage needs to end in divorce. You need to talk to an attorney.
You're right, I had about 257 of them with mine.

texasgirl83

texasgirl83 said:

I called her and she said this is really not a bad thing.I am really scared because I thought this won't have taken so long.What do they ask you?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
texasgirl83 said:
I called her and she said this is really not a bad thing.I am really scared because I thought this won't have taken so long.What do they ask you?
They basically ask you why the marriage should end in divorce. Mine was rather simple as we both agreed that it should end. They asked where we lived (what state), if we thought we were irreconciable, if we had reached an agreement. Then said okay.

If you are alleging abuse, they want testimony on the abuse. They want testimony regarding any of the grounds. Many courts require witnesses even if the other party doesn't show up. A character witness to say you are an honest person or a witness to the adultery (sounds odd but yes some courts expect a witness to testify about the grounds even if it is adultery).

Usually it is the spouses and they testify about the marriage. Don't be worried about the word testify -- all that means is you tell the court the truth. It could take five minutes of you talking and that is all.

Not all trials are five day long affairs. If there are not kids or no property then it is really short. If there are children and custody is contested, that takes forever and may even include several hearings.

It depends on the issues. And I dont know what issues you have. But if your attorney is saying it is no big deal then don't worry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">