• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to file divorce, ex is pregnant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcantu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So, my ex has "tried" filing for our divorce 3 times and somehow it falls through. We have not lived together or anything for over 7 years now. I am trying to file myself now, but I don't know where she lives anymore and she's pregnant.

I already pay child support for our son together(who I don't see since she moves around so often and won't contact me or return my calls). I can't afford a lawyer, hence my trying to file myself. I know the laws for paternity with me being married to her legally still, but I don't know how to proceed.

How do I file a denial of paternity if I don't know where she is? I don't have a single clue where she could be either. Can't I file the first petition for divorce at this time? I know it won't get finalized until said paternity is dealt with, but can I get it started now?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So, my ex has "tried" filing for our divorce 3 times and somehow it falls through. We have not lived together or anything for over 7 years now. I am trying to file myself now, but I don't know where she lives anymore and she's pregnant.

I already pay child support for our son together(who I don't see since she moves around so often and won't contact me or return my calls). I can't afford a lawyer, hence my trying to file myself. I know the laws for paternity with me being married to her legally still, but I don't know how to proceed.

How do I file a denial of paternity if I don't know where she is? I don't have a single clue where she could be either. Can't I file the first petition for divorce at this time? I know it won't get finalized until said paternity is dealt with, but can I get it started now?
Do you have any way to contact her at all? Surely she would want the divorce as well? If the two of you can file an agreement that she is pregnant with a child that is not yours, you would not have to do a paternity test.

jcantu

I don't. That's the problem. Her "fiance" is not long for this world apparently and as of 3 months ago she has moved and let no one know where she is anymore. My mother was able to keep tabs up until now and no one is getting a response from what was her number anymore.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't. That's the problem. Her "fiance" is not long for this world apparently and as of 3 months ago she has moved and let no one know where she is anymore. My mother was able to keep tabs up until now and no one is getting a response from what was her number anymore.
So why didn't you file earlier in order to have contact with YOUR child?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
if you're not going to answer my question and actually help, then go on your way.
And if you're going to be rude to the one lawyer responding to you, you can go your own way. See how well that works for you.

jcantu

she told me repeatedly he wasn't mine, but then backed out of that claim every time. I was also a teenager at the time we got married(she's 4 years older than me). She has put our son under the same presumption for years and my mother always questioned if he was actually mine so she never told him otherwise when he was around her. I don't see my mom either, so it's not like I was around him then either. I didn't know for sure until the state forced her to file for support after years of medicaid and food stamps with no child support coming in.
So for years, as basically still a kid, I was told by his mother I wasn't but then I was. I didn't know what to think or do then. But now it's my time to take the steps I was stupid enough to believe she would take like she promised, but she's nowhere to be found.

Proserpina

she told me repeatedly he wasn't mine, but then backed out of that claim every time. I was also a teenager at the time we got married(she's 4 years older than me). She has put our son under the same presumption for years and my mother always questioned if he was actually mine so she never told him otherwise when he was around her. I don't see my mom either, so it's not like I was around him then either. I didn't know for sure until the state forced her to file for support after years of medicaid and food stamps with no child support coming in.
So for years, as basically still a kid, I was told by his mother I wasn't but then I was. I didn't know what to think or do then. But now it's my time to take the steps I was stupid enough to believe she would take like she promised, but she's nowhere to be found.
Well, then. Maybe your Mom can pay for your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">