• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to Reconcile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bic

What is the name of your state? CA

My wife of 25 years has filed for a legal separation. She says she doesn't want a divorce but needs me to understand the seriousness of our issues.

In CA I have 30 days to file my Response. We are trying to reconcile and we see each other regularly.

This makes my Respnse and the next steps a bit tricky because I don't want to make issues on things while were working on our marriage but I don't want to give up any rights.

I have delayed getting an attorney involved so far becasue I know that some of my decisions not to take issue with her position will be challenged by my attorney.

I would like to file my Response with court myself but I am not sure if I need to mark all boxes on the form which her attorney has marked.

She has marked a request for Spousal Support which I don't take issue with but in my Response should check the box or leave it blank.

Similarly she has checked the box requesting me to pay attorney fees. While I don't like this because we decided to split my pay 50/50 while we figure this out again I won't take issue with it but can I leave the box unchecked.

We have a Case Classification Conference scheduled for November and my guess is that by then we will have a better feel for possible reconciliation.

So, must the form be filled out completely with a choice on all items or can I simply Respond and not forfiet my rights to be part of the process as we move through next steps.

Thanks to anyone who can help, and I will likely get an attorney to shadow my actions while we work on reconciliation.

fairisfair

generally not addressing an issue in a response is considered by the court to be an acceptance or an admittance.

I would suggest that you at least consult with an attorney who specialized in divorce at your earliest opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with protecting your interests, even if your intention is to work things out.

Bic

Moot Point

I suppose this is really a moot point. If the reonciliation doen'st work out undoubtedly I will be paying spousal support and the legal expense (in my situation are of little concern).

Seems best just to check the boxes in agreement, file and get an attorney to get me through next steps.

UNLESS there are any other opinions out there that I should know about....timing is running out.

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">