• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two email agreements that contradict each other?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rock&aHardPlace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Almost a year ago my mom divorced my dad. She just bailed on her entire life, all of her friends and family. She agreed to pay for my year of college tuition via an email agreement with my dad. All was fine for the first two quarters but after she sent me the money for last quarters tuition she demanded it back, saying she needed it to pay someone else back and if I didn't give it to her she would disown me. Unfortunately I already spent it on tuition and she demanded I take out a $5,000 loan immediately. I have no credit score so it wasn't physically possible for me to obtain that amount of money that quickly.

I thought the mom who raised me was still in there somewhere, so I tried to salvage what I could of our relationship and agreed via an email contract to pay her $200/month after I finished school. I didn't want to but she kept harassing me and leaving me voicemail's and emails telling me I was a mistake and ungrateful.

Does the second agreement made override the original one she made with my dad? Because she says she'll "pay your spring quarter tuition" but it will be a loan. Isn't this already going back on her agreement with my dad? And if so, shouldn't she have made this agreement with my dad and not me?

Here are the two emails:

On Aug 21, 2015 at 2:28:12 PM:

I will cover [My name] under a separate plan for for September and then he will have coverage through the [N/A] health insurance plan. I have attached an updated split for expenses. If i don't hear form you I will assume you are in agreement to this.
In the excel sheet she agreed to pay for my last year tuition which was $13,500. But never specified as to the increments in which she would pay it. Naturally, she sent money at the start of every quarter, but on the last quarter she demanded the money back. This is the agreement she sent:

On Mar 30, 2016, at 1:07 PM,wrote:

[MyName] -

As we just discussed - I will pay your spring quarter tuition of $4,486.98 which we both agreed will be considered a loan. You agreed to begin to make payments of $200/month once you have completed spring quarter and are working starting in the July/August time frame. I will cover the cost of your health insurance which is $898.00.

Please confirm our agreement by responding to this email.
I responded and said "Ok"

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Almost a year ago my mom divorced my dad. She just bailed on her entire life, all of her friends and family. She agreed to pay for my year of college tuition via an email agreement with my dad. All was fine for the first two quarters but after she sent me the money for last quarters tuition she demanded it back, saying she needed it to pay someone else back and if I didn't give it to her she would disown me. Unfortunately I already spent it on tuition and she demanded I take out a $5,000 loan immediately. I have no credit score so it wasn't physically possible for me to obtain that amount of money that quickly.

I thought the mom who raised me was still in there somewhere, so I tried to salvage what I could of our relationship and agreed via an email contract to pay her $200/month after I finished school. I didn't want to but she kept harassing me and leaving me voicemail's and emails telling me I was a mistake and ungrateful.

Does the second agreement made override the original one she made with my dad? Because she says she'll "pay your spring quarter tuition" but it will be a loan. Isn't this already going back on her agreement with my dad? And if so, shouldn't she have made this agreement with my dad and not me?

Here are the two emails:

In the excel sheet she agreed to pay for my last year tuition which was $13,500. But never specified as to the increments in which she would pay it. Naturally, she sent money at the start of every quarter, but on the last quarter she demanded the money back. This is the agreement she sent:

I responded and said "Ok"
That is NOT a contract. You however made a contract to pay her back by stating "Ok". You are an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">