• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ugly Mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Photog253

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I left my husband in late February.....he was having another affair. Together 11 years, lived together 10, married 3.

Aside from the house, vehicles, etc., we own 4 businesses. I worked the businesses along with him.

Since I left? He's locked down all the bank accounts, has 'taken back' payments I've made for what bills I have.....including basic living expenses.

In addition, At this time, I'm unable to work as I've been experiencing a great deal of health problems (he have no insurance, he lost it when his airline shut down and didn't take COBRA or the offer of continuance from United Health Care). Now? I have tens of thousands of dollars in hospital, doctor, ambulance bills, etc.

He is giving me nothing. Not one thin dime. I consulted an AZ divorce attorney before I left the state, but have yet to be able to afford to retain her, or any lawyer for that matter.

In addition (not that it matters much)...but the other woman moved herself into our home 4 days after I left. Since then, I've heard from neighbors that the house is a disaster....'looks like a junkyard', I'm told. They've made numerous complaints to the County. So, there goes all that hard work and money in renovating the house all those years. Property values are taking a hard enough hit in AZ without that.

Is there some sort of temporary order I can get that will allow me access to some money for living expenses? Anything??

I've thought about telling him that I'm planning on filing bankruptcy (which, I'm not) due to my medical bills......the only way to get him to pay attention is to make him feel financially threatened, but I'd rather not have to do that. Seems underhanded to me.

Also, I've spoken with our bank there and they're aware of the situation and know what he's doing isn't legal...but he always manages to find that one person who doesn't understand the laws and he screws me again.

Help!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I left my husband in late February.....he was having another affair. Together 11 years, lived together 10, married 3.

Aside from the house, vehicles, etc., we own 4 businesses. I worked the businesses along with him.

Since I left? He's locked down all the bank accounts, has 'taken back' payments I've made for what bills I have.....including basic living expenses.

In addition, At this time, I'm unable to work as I've been experiencing a great deal of health problems (he have no insurance, he lost it when his airline shut down and didn't take COBRA or the offer of continuance from United Health Care). Now? I have tens of thousands of dollars in hospital, doctor, ambulance bills, etc.

He is giving me nothing. Not one thin dime. I consulted an AZ divorce attorney before I left the state, but have yet to be able to afford to retain her, or any lawyer for that matter.

In addition (not that it matters much)...but the other woman moved herself into our home 4 days after I left. Since then, I've heard from neighbors that the house is a disaster....'looks like a junkyard', I'm told. They've made numerous complaints to the County. So, there goes all that hard work and money in renovating the house all those years. Property values are taking a hard enough hit in AZ without that.

Is there some sort of temporary order I can get that will allow me access to some money for living expenses? Anything??

I've thought about telling him that I'm planning on filing bankruptcy (which, I'm not) due to my medical bills......the only way to get him to pay attention is to make him feel financially threatened, but I'd rather not have to do that. Seems underhanded to me.

Also, I've spoken with our bank there and they're aware of the situation and know what he's doing isn't legal...but he always manages to find that one person who doesn't understand the laws and he screws me again.

Help!
I will address your banking issue only: If the accounts are joint account he has taken the money out of them, the bank cannot stop him. You would have to file for divorce and take that up with the court.

Photog253

No, I don't care what HE takes out....he's blocked my access from withdrawing anything. Period. Canceled my bank card, etc. I get another one? Same thing.

Also...the business accounts, those are 50% mine. He's blocked those, too. All he does is find someone at the bank who doesn't know the laws and weasles around it that way.

I'm no longer in AZ...I'm in the Midwest, so I can't exactly stop in the bank....and I'm sick and tired of calling the bank...talking to the banker....etc. Matter of fact? The banker's about ready to run him out on a rail.

Antigone*

No, I don't care what HE takes out....he's blocked my access from withdrawing anything. Period. Canceled my bank card, etc. I get another one? Same thing.

Also...the business accounts, those are 50% mine. He's blocked those, too. All he does is find someone at the bank who doesn't know the laws and weasles around it that way.

I'm no longer in AZ...I'm in the Midwest, so I can't exactly stop in the bank....and I'm sick and tired of calling the bank...talking to the banker....etc. Matter of fact? The banker's about ready to run him out on a rail.
I'm really sorry but you have to call the bank again and speak to them about this situation. If you have a banker, maybe they can flag the accounts in such a way, no changes can be made unless authorized by you. You also need to get an attorney as soon as possible.

nextwife

Are you actually a 50% owner, or are you ASSUMING you are a 50% owner because you married him for aprox 36 months and worked in the business? Do you own 50% of the stock, or are you in some other way titled as a 50% owner? Because marriage alone would not necessarily make you a 50% owner

Was the business a premarital asset?

mistoffolees

See an attorney. Now.

Once you file for divorce, then he can no longer dissipate assets or hide them from you. He will be able to use the money for normal business and living expenses and legal expenses, but you will also be granted access for normal living expenses and legal expenses.

Your attorney can help you to determine what share of the businesses should be yours (could be anywhere from 0% to 100% since some people put businesses in their wive's names to take advantage of woman-owned business opportunities) and what action you can take.

Assuming that the assets are significant, your attorney can petition the court to be paid from marital assets so you won't have to come up with the money yourself. And, for many attorneys, the initial consultation may be free so there's no reason not to call someone.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At this time, I'm unable to work as I've been experiencing a great deal of health problems (he have no insurance, he lost it when his airline shut down and didn't take COBRA or the offer of continuance from United Health Care). Now? I have tens of thousands of dollars in hospital, doctor, ambulance bills, etc.

So why didn't you take COBRA? As long as they were covered on the plan prior to his termination, each individual member of the family has the individual right to COBRA. You could have taken it regardless of whether he did or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">