• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unborn baby and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stacy83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ive been married for three years and we both really want a divorce, but i am pregnant. if i file for divorce fast enough, do i have to let him have parental rights of the baby? i dont want nothing to do with him.

Isis1

ive been married for three years and we both really want a divorce, but i am pregnant. if i file for divorce fast enough, do i have to let him have parental rights of the baby? i dont want nothing to do with him.

you don't have to let him. the STATE lets him have rights. it comes with depositing sperm and your choice not to terminate the pregnancy. so too late. you're stuck with him for the next 18 years+

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

stacy83

:(

what if it isn't his? we are getting divorced cuz we were both cheating on eachother. if dna says its not his does that change?

Isis1

is there anyway to get divorced without a lawyer?
you may absolutely get a divorce without a lawyer. you will need to study the law of your state. i suggest your local law library, self help books at the library, the self help center at your local courthouse.

however, it will be very complicated with a child, even more complicated if there is property, marital assets, and/or debts involved.

Isis1

what if it isn't his? we are getting divorced cuz we were both cheating on eachother. if dna says its not his does that change?
what STATE are you in????

depends on the state, if the state does not allow you a divorce until AFTER the baby is born, then no. hubby will be legal dad until he is disestablished and a DNA dad is established.

stacy83

utah. we got married too young like everyone else in this state :p

do you think it might just be faster to get a lawyer. what about those website helper things? they are like $200 or something. are those any good?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Stacy -

Based on your posts here, you DEFINITELY will need assistance. This is NOT a DIY project.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Being a slut can change things IF the actual father fights to establish paternity OR your husband decides to disestablish paternity. YOU don't get a right to dictate that. Your rights to determine daddy ended when you decided to keep the baby and not abort. Paternity is NOT your decision at THIS juncture.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
utah. we got married too young like everyone else in this state :p

do you think it might just be faster to get a lawyer. what about those website helper things? they are like $200 or something. are those any good?
Unless you can give birth faster then the divorce will NOT get decided/ended faster. Unless of course you abort. Because until the baby is born or ceases to exist you will not be completely divorced. That is the soonest.

CourtClerk

Being a slut can change things IF the actual father fights to establish paternity OR your husband decides to disestablish paternity. YOU don't get a right to dictate that. Your rights to determine daddy ended when you decided to keep the baby and not abort. Paternity is NOT your decision at THIS juncture.
***cleaning up soda from courthouse computer***
Da*n you. You're supposed to warn me before you do things like this....

Just Blue

poo. alright. thanks for the help though!
Poo?? You are going to be a mother and your response is poo??

Non-legal advice. Do not keep this child. Place him/her with an adoption agency and let actual grown-ups adopt and parent this poor child.

stacy83

wow.... im am trying my best to not be totally offended...

well im due in october. can i start filing for divorce now or does it have to wait?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">