• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uncertain please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teri91335

What is the name of your state? california..

I am not sure if I am in the right forum but since this concerns a divorce lawyer I figured I would start here. My divorce is final but I am disputing my bill, there were a few things I did not agree with on my final bill so I sent a rebuttal letter stating the differences I had and what I thought was appropriate payment. I did not hear from my lawyer at all so I continued making payments (approx 6 months) until the final payment. On the final payment letter I stated that this was the final payment and after receiving this payment I would be paid in full and there would be a zero balance. I stated in the memo portion of my check paid in full, zero balance. I finally received a rebutal letter and my lawyer stated that I should pay the amount and that if I did not she would add on all the charges that were not charged over the course of the divorce.

My question is whether my final letter is legal and binding and I do not owe her anything and if that is not the case can she go back and add on stuff that was not on the final bill or any other bill that was sent to me.

I thank anyone who can help me out with this delima..

Sincerely,

Teri

BelizeBreeze

You're right, this is not the correct forum. However, the advice will be the same. One party to a contract cannot unilaterally change the contract, whether or not that contact is verbal or written.

In other words, your 'payment in full' is worthless. It's time to sit down with the attorney and have her verify all claimed expenses. Then decide what to do. However, I can tell you that attorneys often don't charge ALL fees and charges applicable.

T

Teri91335

beliezebreeze

california,

Thank you for replying to my question..even though the answer will be the same could you please tell me which forum I should be in.

So I understand that the paid in full does not apply but I was uncertain as to whether the lawyer could charge me for charges that were not specified on any of the bills.

I also want to thank you for replying to my question and unfortunately sitting down and talking is not an option. When you have a lawyer who charges you for things that never happened, then was suppose to file the papers in June and did not get filed until October and that was after I called to ask why and her secretaries answer was it takes awhile only to find out they were never filed, then she charges me for filing again which never happened in the first place just proves to me it isnt worth my time.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate any and all you have...

Thanks again,

Teri

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">