• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uncontested divorce advise needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbier55

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My boyfriend got married approx 10 years ago in California, but they have not seen each other for over 7 years. She currently resides in Illinose and he lives here in Texas. There is a minor child involved that he has not seen since she was 2 or 3 years old, nor does he know how to get in contact with her since his wife is in prison and the child is in the custody of her mother.

He has decided to go on with his life, since he has tried to make contact to the best of his abilities with his daughter, and proceed with a divorce so that he and I can get married. He has been told that he can file an uncontested divorce by putting an ad in the newspaper of the town that his wife lives in and if she does not reply in a specified amount of time that he would be able to proceed with the paperwork and cost of filing the divorce.

Is this true in this situation. I filed a uncontested divorce over 25 years ago and it was fairly this simple. Is it still the same and is there other information on how to go about this properly online.

Thank you
Debbie

rmet4nzkx

While there may be grounds for an uncontested divorce in Texas, the fact that there is a child, means that there will have to be some determination of custody, child support. If his wife is in jail or prison, she can easily be served there and that is grounds for divorce in addition to leaving apart 3+ years. It takes a minimum of 60 days for a divorce. Tracking down his daughter and regaining custody would be another issue, but the state of Illinois should be able to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">