• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

undergraduate daughter got married, getting dissolution, what next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmericanWoman71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My daughter (an 18 year old undergraduate) informed me last week she got married. She is filing a summary dissolution this week (they both realized how stupid it was) but now I am left with a few questions as the mom who claims her on taxes and fills out her FASFA... Can I still claim her on my taxes next year if I wait to file after her dissolution is finalized or can I still go ahead and claim her as a dependent before it is finalized? I'm also really worried about her student aid, but if I can wait and file my taxes when she is not married, and the dissolution makes it like it never occurred in the first place, then I am guessing she won't lose her dependent status...but I'm still terrified that this will seriously harm her educational funding. Any ideas? :eek: I mean, do I need a tax attorney or do I need a family attorney?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

My daughter (an 18 year old undergraduate) informed me last week she got married. She is filing a summary dissolution this week (they both realized how stupid it was) but now I am left with a few questions as the mom who claims her on taxes and fills out her FASFA... Can I still claim her on my taxes next year if I wait to file after her dissolution is finalized or can I still go ahead and claim her as a dependent before it is finalized? I'm also really worried about her student aid, but if I can wait and file my taxes when she is not married, and the dissolution makes it like it never occurred in the first place, then I am guessing she won't lose her dependent status...but I'm still terrified that this will seriously harm her educational funding. Any ideas? :eek: I mean, do I need a tax attorney or do I need a family attorney?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
gonna leave this hot mess to Ld....she's our resident expert on tax law (and other subjects) ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Dissolution=Divorce. It doesn't "make it like it never happened"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

LD can answer the tax issues however I will state this -- if she is not officially FINALLY divorced by December 31, she will be considered married for the year and you will not be able to claim her as a single dependent because she is married. YOU do NOT need a family attorney.

LdiJ

You are ok on the taxes as long as she does not file a joint return with her soon to be ex husband. You don't have to wait to file your tax return. You are allowed to claim a married child as your dependent in circumstances like this one. If they stayed married, and her husband earned enough to actually have any tax liability, and they filed a joint return, you would not be able to claim her.

I am not sure however, about her financial aid. I know that marriage emancipates her from needing your participation in the FASFA process, and switches it to needing her husband's participation instead, but I don't know if getting immediately divorced leaves her emancipated from needing your participation or if it puts her back to needing your participation.

vijendrasnv

Hi,

Just consult with some good divorce lawyer,he/she will concludes with a good solution for you.
I can' suggest anything about your issues between your daughter and her ex husband.:)

Thanks.

LdiJ

LD can answer the tax issues however I will state this -- if she is not officially FINALLY divorced by December 31, she will be considered married for the year and you will not be able to claim her as a single dependent because she is married. YOU do NOT need a family attorney.
Sorry, but that is not correct. A married child can be claimed as an exemption/dependent as long as the other normal tests are met, and as long as they do not file a joint return with their spouse, unless its a joint return only to receive their withholding back.

Its not an issue that arises very often, so its not well known.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">