• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Divorce Against Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lost744

Michigan.

Hey everyone,

About a year ago my parents got a divorce, the grounds of the divorce was my father was very, very abusive and ended up hitting my brother and getting arrested, he has also hit my mother many times but the police were never called. This had been happening all of my childhood. The divorce took a long time, but it ended up with my dad (unemployed, has been for 10 years) getting most of the money, and pretty much no debt. My mother who had a job at the time was given the house which she could not afford to pay, and all the credit card debt. She was employed at the time. About a week after this ruling my mother lost her job and has been struggling to find work that can pay enough to cover all the debt she was given. She is now about to file for bankruptcy, while my father has rented a beachside apartment and is leasing a new Porsche 911. My father would always ramble on drunkenly about how he would take everything from my mom, and leave her with nothing...

My brother and myself are trying to find anyway to help my mother out and we are trying to see if there is any legal ground we can get some of the money back for here to live a normal life.

Thanks is advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Michigan.

Hey everyone,

About a year ago my parents got a divorce, the grounds of the divorce was my father was very, very abusive and ended up hitting my brother and getting arrested, he has also hit my mother many times but the police were never called. This had been happening all of my childhood. The divorce took a long time, but it ended up with my dad (unemployed, has been for 10 years) getting most of the money, and pretty much no debt. My mother who had a job at the time was given the house which she could not afford to pay, and all the credit card debt. She was employed at the time. About a week after this ruling my mother lost her job and has been struggling to find work that can pay enough to cover all the debt she was given. She is now about to file for bankruptcy, while my father has rented a beachside apartment and is leasing a new Porsche 911. My father would always ramble on drunkenly about how he would take everything from my mom, and leave her with nothing...

My brother and myself are trying to find anyway to help my mother out and we are trying to see if there is any legal ground we can get some of the money back for here to live a normal life.

Thanks is advance.
No. You have no grounds to do anything. Your mother made her choices. And most likely the above were NOT the grounds of divorce. If your mother was unhappy with the outcome of the divorce and the court made a LEGAL mistake, she could have appealed back then.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There really is nothing you/your brother can do - neither of you are parties to the divorce. You could help your Mom pay for a lawyer to review the situation, but it is likely too late to do anything. Otherwise, you could help her financially.

Silverplum

(You don't know how division of assets works, but criticize anyway. :rolleyes:)

Tell your mother to make new friends: it's unhealthy for you to be so overinvolved in your parents' divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">