• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unknown child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klbugbee

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio
I have been married for 18 years and just recently filed for divorce. About 3 years into the marriage I found out that my husband had another child that was born just prior to our marriage that he never told me about. Am I entitled to some of the support money that our marriage paid the mother of the child? As far as I know my husband has never seen the child. Also, my husband had a 42,000 debt, including charge accounts and misc. debt (not including mortgage debt) prior to our marriage. I have no records of this though because it was 18 years ago. Our marriage also repaid that debt. Is there anyway for me to get records of this from that many years ago?
Thank you for any advice,
Kyle

seniorjudge

klbugbee said:
I have been married for 18 years and just recently filed for divorce. About 3 years into the marriage I found out that my husband had another child that was born just prior to our marriage that he never told me about. Am I entitled to some of the support money that our marriage paid the mother of the child? As far as I know my husband has never seen the child. Also, my husband had a 42,000 debt, including charge accounts and misc. debt (not including mortgage debt) prior to our marriage. I have no records of this though because it was 18 years ago. Our marriage also repaid that debt. Is there anyway for me to get records of this from that many years ago?
Kyle
Q: Am I entitled to some of the support money that our marriage paid the mother of the child?

A: No, the mother of the child is entitled to child support.

Ask for everything you want and hope for the best.

AHA

klbugbee said:
Kyle
Why do you think you should get the money that a woman received for raising a child??
If you had kids with this man, you can file for child support, but you have zero rights to the child support your hubby has paid to another woman, come on, you must see how ridiculous your question was?

klbugbee

I guess I didn't word things right when I asked my question about should I be able to get some of the support money our marriage paid for because of the child I didn't know about. I absolutely understand that the mother of the child I didn't know about deserved to have the support paid to her from my husband. However, I feel since I was not told about the child, and that the income from our marriage paid for that debt, that I should be entitled to more money from our 401K or another of our assets because of this. My husband was also briefly married years before I married him and had a child with the lady. I am not asking for any type of reimbursement for that, because I knew of that child and I also had a bond with that child. Does anyone understand my point of view?
Kyle

AHA

klbugbee said:
I guess I didn't word things right when I asked my question about should I be able to get some of the support money our marriage paid for because of the child I didn't know about. I absolutely understand that the mother of the child I didn't know about deserved to have the support paid to her from my husband. However, I feel since I was not told about the child, and that the income from our marriage paid for that debt, that I should be entitled to more money from our 401K or another of our assets because of this. My husband was also briefly married years before I married him and had a child with the lady. I am not asking for any type of reimbursement for that, because I knew of that child and I also had a bond with that child. Does anyone understand my point of view?
Kyle

By your own statement you knew about the kid 3 years into the marriage and continued to be married to him for a further 15 years without it being an issue, why should it all of a sudden be one now? Did YOUR paychecks during those 15 years go to the mother of the child??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">