• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unmarried, ending relationship, have child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reno2001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am beginning the process of separation from my girlfriend. We are unmarried but have child together. at a loss as to how to proceed.
R

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am beginning the process of separation from my girlfriend. We are unmarried but have child together. at a loss as to how to proceed.
R
File to establish paternity (if that hasn't been done already), custody/visitation and child support.

If you and Mom are in agreement you file a stipulation with the court and the Judge will - generally - sign off on it without any fuss. Much cheaper, easier and less traumatic for all involved.

mistoffolees

File to establish paternity (if that hasn't been done already), custody/visitation and child support.

If you and Mom are in agreement you file a stipulation with the court and the Judge will - generally - sign off on it without any fuss. Much cheaper, easier and less traumatic for all involved.
To make sure the judge signs off on it, make sure that the amount that is agreed for child support is close to guidelines for your state. There are calculators online for every state, so use it to figure out what the appropriate level of support is and propose that to the court. If your proposal varies too much from guidelines, some judges will object.

Proserpina

To make sure the judge signs off on it, make sure that the amount that is agreed for child support is close to guidelines for your state. There are calculators online for every state, so use it to figure out what the appropriate level of support is and propose that to the court. If your proposal varies too much from guidelines, some judges will object.
Excellent point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">