• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsettled Debt before divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubbles1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma During my divorce trial my attorney didn't file my paper work right and all of my evidence and all papers were thrown out of court. Divorce took place with out all of the debt getting addressed. Now my ex has chased down an old dental bill on our daughter that was due before our divorce decree went into effect and now he is sueing me for this bill. This bill was part of my documents that I took to court with me and was thrown out. He was ordered to pay 66% and myself 34% of all medical and dental after divorce but what about before divorce. Does this bill fall up under the divorce decree or what?

bubbles1

retroactive bills

Bye googling this question in a round about way, I have found that the wording of the final judgement plays a big part in who pays what. If the paper work reads any and all debt then retroactive bills would be included but if these words are not used in the writing of the judgment then it referrs to forth coming debt from the date of the final judgement. Did I understand this right or did I miss understand what I read. Still looking for some professional advise. Thanx in advance.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma During my divorce trial my attorney didn't file my paper work right and all of my evidence and all papers were thrown out of court. Divorce took place with out all of the debt getting addressed. Now my ex has chased down an old dental bill on our daughter that was due before our divorce decree went into effect and now he is sueing me for this bill. This bill was part of my documents that I took to court with me and was thrown out. He was ordered to pay 66% and myself 34% of all medical and dental after divorce but what about before divorce. Does this bill fall up under the divorce decree or what?
What exactly does the decree say?

If it doesn't mention debt at all, then you're each responsible for 50% of marital debt. If the dental bill was for your daughter and was incurred while you were married, it's marital debt.

bubbles1

Information sure makes the stress go away

I reread my papers and it specifies each one of our debts. Taxes 50/50% between us. Other debts were split with him paying 100% of one and I paying 100% of another and so on with out any percentages split between us on any of the outstanding bills. Each bill was specified individually. This dental bill in question was not listed as one of the debts.

mistoffolees

I reread my papers and it specifies each one of our debts. Taxes 50/50% between us. Other debts were split with him paying 100% of one and I paying 100% of another and so on with out any percentages split between us on any of the outstanding bills. Each bill was specified individually. This dental bill in question was not listed as one of the debts.
Then it's a marital debt and you each owe 50%.

LdiJ

Then it's a marital debt and you each owe 50%.
I am not sure I agree. I think that the fact that it is not mentioned in the divorce decree makes it a separate debt belonging to the person in whose name it is in....which could mean 50% each if its in both names.

2X'sdivorce

I think that if your ex won't pay for a bill that was not put in for dental work on your child with him when you were married....as shown by the date on the bill, then he is a real ****. It's not like you incurred this after divorce and tried to sneak one over on him.

Proserpina

I think that if your ex won't pay for a bill that was not put in for dental work on your child with him when you were married....as shown by the date on the bill, then he is a real ****. It's not like you incurred this after divorce and tried to sneak one over on him.
None of which has any bearing on the situation. He can be the biggest twit since Old Jock "Twitty" McTwit won last year's "Mr Twit" contest, and it still doesn't enter into the legal equation...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">