• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsigned divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fiftysomething

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My husband of nearly thirty years has started a new lifestyle which does not include me. He has no grounds for divorce and I refuse to file for divorce, so we are waiting the 18 months necesarry in our state for an uncontested divorce. I have now received the papers, including financial agreements which we worked out last year. Am I correct in my understanding that if I do not contest the divorce, even if I don't sign the papers, that our divorce will become final anyway? I'm not trying to be mean but I don't want a divorce and will continue to honor the "til death do us part" vow I took, even after we are legally divorced. Do I have to sign the papers?

H

huskerfan41

fiftysomething said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My husband of nearly thirty years has started a new lifestyle which does not include me. He has no grounds for divorce and I refuse to file for divorce, so we are waiting the 18 months necesarry in our state for an uncontested divorce. I have now received the papers, including financial agreements which we worked out last year. Am I correct in my understanding that if I do not contest the divorce, even if I don't sign the papers, that our divorce will become final anyway? I'm not trying to be mean but I don't want a divorce and will continue to honor the "til death do us part" vow I took, even after we are legally divorced. Do I have to sign the papers?
yes, even if you don't sign the papers -- you will be in default -- and you'll be legally divorced anyway.

but, you might as well look at the paperwork -- and see if you'll be getting alimony....:p

tigger22472

If you don't contest anything he will get his way... if the divorce is going to happen anyways at least make sure you get your fair share

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">