• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unwanted involvement in others' family dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marco233

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

A private investigator came to my home with a copy of a blog post I had written in 2011. She represents a man who is divorcing his wife and she said that information in the blog post implies that his wife was having an affair with another man. The blog post describes her presence with the other man during an incident which I was present for three years ago. The other man had asked everyone not to mention that she was with him but I had not been part of this verbal agreement. I did write in the blog that he asked for secrecy, but I did not sign any papers.

Will my admittance that I heard this agreement take place incriminate me in any way, or will it put me in any legal trouble at all? I am reluctant to cooperate with the investigation.

thanks
marco

Last edited:

Ladyback1

A private investigator came to my home with a copy of a blog post I had written in 2011. She represents a man who is divorcing his wife and she said that information in the blog post implies that his wife was having an affair with another man. The blog post describes her presence with the other man during an incident which I was present for three years ago. The other man had asked everyone not to mention that she was with him but I had not been part of this verbal agreement. I did write in the blog that he asked for secrecy, but I did not sign any papers.

Will my admittance that I head this agreement take place incriminate me in any way, or will it put me in any legal trouble at all? I am reluctant to cooperate with the investigation.

thanks
marco
The minute you decided to post another person's private life, you became involved.

As far as legally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Ethically and morally? Yep, I'd say you got some 'splain to do!

Proserpina

Will my admittance that I head this agreement take place incriminate me in any way, or will it put me in any legal trouble at all? I am reluctant to cooperate with the investigation.

thanks
marco
What does the Husband wish to do, exactly?

Adultery does not affect property settlement, alimony or custody in Maine.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm kinda thinking that if you don't want to be involved in other peoples' business? Then it may be wise to stop writing about it in public fora. Ya know?

marco233

I completely agree that it was unwise to post about it. I was volunteering abroad for one month and I kept the blog for three or four friends and my family. I was naive in thinking that it wouldn't bear any consequences but I also did not attach my name anywhere to the blog. How they got my information is beyond me.

I also forgot to mention that the divorce is taking place in California and they have come all the way to Maine to find me.

marco233

What does the Husband wish to do, exactly?

Adultery does not affect property settlement, alimony or custody in Maine.
He wants to establish a timeframe as to when the affair began. If what you say is true then I can't explain why this information would be relevant to them. They have chosen to exclude me from that information and are only asking me to place this woman at the scene with the other man during a particular time period.

anearthw

Or perhaps proven adultery will affect the terms of any sort of prenuptial agreement, hence worth the cost to travel all the way across the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">