• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

urgent! plz help! quit claim deed not filed/fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wbl

YOUR STATE NAME - ohio
in my marriage dissolution decree of 1994 it states i shall execute a quit claim deed to my (then) husband for our home. it also states both parties were not coerced etc. into agreeing about anything.
since then, now 7 years later, i have realized my ex-husband lied to me about the worth of our property in 1994, getting me to agree to give him the house saying that i could never afford the mortgage, so i couldn't keep it, and if we sold it we would owe several thousand $ each (BIG LIE..he said because the central air and dishwasher broke we wouldn't be able to sell the house). i stupidly believed him, and in the end got totally screwed. i have always wanted to go back and get the $ i felt i was cheated out of but wasn't sure if i had a leg to stand on legally.
now, 7 years later, his real estate agent contacted me saying he has sold the house,(for approx.$20,000.00 more than we paid in 1994) and i (or my attorney) never filed a quit claim deed. real estate agent said he needs this signed by next week so ex can sell the house and if i don't do it they'll take me to court and i will not only end up having to sign it anyway, but will have to pay several hundred $ as well to pay all court costs. i feel i am entitled to some $ as i feel he basically committed fraud.
please advise, thank you.
p.s. i am in the process of contacting my attny, but would appreciate any insight as well.

kat1963

I agree with HomeGuru....in addition, I'm sure he's had to make repairs over the last 8 years, he's been paying the mtg and 20 grand ain't a whole lotta equity after that period of time anyway. Your bond to get stuck paying his attorney's fees if you fight this. You could also be held resposible for him losing the sale of the house for the delay that you caused. Your statue of limitations on this one ran out years ago..and thats even if there was something to even gain by suing. Sometimes...we just gotta move on.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">