• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US citizen living in Japan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mchalmers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am a US citizen currently working in Japan. Are there any special rules or circumstances I need to be aware of in order to file for Divorce from my soon to be ex who lives in California? I am also a registered resident of California. Any advice or words of wisdom appreciated. Thank you.

:confused:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am a US citizen currently working in Japan. Are there any special rules or circumstances I need to be aware of in order to file for Divorce from my soon to be ex who lives in California? I am also a registered resident of California. Any advice or words of wisdom appreciated. Thank you.

:confused:
YOu are living in Japan? How do you believe you are still a resident of California? Are you in the military?

mchalmers

residency

Well, I have a mailing address in California, i am registered to vote in California and I have a current California drivers license. I also file California state tax forms.
If I am not considered a California resident, then what am I?
Thank you

mistoffolees

WHY are you living in Japan? You didn't answer that question.
And what are the particulars? If you're still using your house in CA and fly to Japan for a defined period, but return regularly to CA and intend to return there, it may be different than if you've completely moved to Japan with the intent to stay. That's assuming you're not military which has entirely different rules.

VeronicaLodge

since the person's first post says they are WORKING in japan, im going to assume they live in CA and work for a company, either a US one or a Japanese one that has them working in Japan for now. but thats just as ASSumption and we all know where that will bet us.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
since the person's first post says they are WORKING in japan, im going to assume they live in CA and work for a company, either a US one or a Japanese one that has them working in Japan for now. but thats just as ASSumption and we all know where that will bet us.
Which is why it would be helpful if they would actually answer. Because quite frankly most people working in japan are going to live there -- at least for a bit of time -- the daily commute from CA would be a bit much.

mchalmers

OK, Let me be more specific. I Currently Live and work in Japan as a Preschool teacher in an international school. I intend to be living and working here for 2 1/2 years, returning to the US and California the summer of 2010. I am a US citizen, born and raised by US citizens.

I do not own a home or maintain an actual residence in the US, beyond a storage unit.
I am not military nor do I currently work for the military.

Do I actually have to be IN the US to get a divorce?

I want a divorce. I was married for 24 years and 7 months.
It should be uncontested, no property owned between the two parties, no minor children, maybe some debt that will need to be divided.

mistoffolees

OK, Let me be more specific. I Currently Live and work in Japan as a Preschool teacher in an international school. I intend to be living and working here for 2 1/2 years, returning to the US and California the summer of 2010. I am a US citizen, born and raised by US citizens.

I do not own a home or maintain an actual residence in the US, beyond a storage unit.

It should be uncontested, no property owned between the two parties, no minor children, maybe some debt that will need to be divided.
It it's truly to be uncontested, the easiest thing would be to have a CA lawyer file the papers for you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You are going to have to get a divorce in Japan then. Because you do NOT qualify to get a divorce in CA as you are not a CA resident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">