• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

use of maiden name after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wittyireny

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?ca

i was divorced in ny. on my divorce papers, the judge stated that i could resume the use of my maiden name. my divorce was in 92. since this time, i never used my maiden name...i always used my married name. my question is can i still legally use my married name even though the use of my maiden name was resumed at my divorce in 92. all of my bank accounts, health cards, social security papers list my married name on them. i never changed them over to my maiden name after the divorce. i am having a living trust, health care directive, and power of attorney document drawn up.

can i still legally use my married name on these important documents instead of my maiden name? or can i hyphenate my married name-maiden name on these documents and still have them be considered legal?

thank you.

LdiJ

wittyireny said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?ca

i was divorced in ny. on my divorce papers, the judge stated that i could resume the use of my maiden name. my divorce was in 92. since this time, i never used my maiden name...i always used my married name. my question is can i still legally use my married name even though the use of my maiden name was resumed at my divorce in 92. all of my bank accounts, health cards, social security papers list my married name on them. i never changed them over to my maiden name after the divorce. i am having a living trust, health care directive, and power of attorney document drawn up.

can i still legally use my married name on these important documents instead of my maiden name? or can i hyphenate my married name-maiden name on these documents and still have them be considered legal?

thank you.
If the judge granted you permission to resume your maiden name, then it was your choice whether or not to do so. If the judge ordered to you resume your maiden name, then technically you were supposed to do so.

Get yourself a consult with a local attorney. However, you probably don't have a problem....and if you do, its probably very easy to fix.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">