• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using the children as tax deductions -- verbal agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casey42

New Jersey,

About 12 years ago while going through a court case after an awful divorce, one of my requests was to have both of my children as tax deductions. She wasn't working and to this day still hasn't. The court said if she wanted any tax deduction she would have to provide proof of her new husbands -- she never has. After the hearing she called me and offered that if she could take our older child as a deduction then I could take the younger one -- giving me a couple of extra years of deductions. Now after the older child is out of the house, she is asking the court that she get the deduction for the older child.

What I'm hoping to show is that there was a verbal agreement and as facts I want to use:
1. My lack of pursuring the matter further
2. I have claimed the younger sibling since that time
3. She has claimed the older sibling since that time

She had sent me a letter saying that she was going to claim the younger sibling this past year. By the time I had received the letter I had already file so I ignored the letter.

Am I trying the wrong tactic or is there something else?

Casey42

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">