• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using past text messages in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amy3682

Can my husbsnd use text messages from my phone if phone was bought and is paid for by my parents during a divorce. He was not the owner of the phone and accessed it wothout my knowledge.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can my husbsnd use text messages from my phone if phone was bought and is paid for by my parents during a divorce. He was not the owner of the phone and accessed it wothout my knowledge.
Sorry - US law only

Amy3682

Using text messages in divorece

Can my husband use past txt messages frim my phine that was bought for and is paid for by my parents. He accessed my phone without my permission. I live in Kentucky

Zigner

Can my husband use past txt messages frim my phine that was bought for and is paid for by my parents. He accessed my phone without my permission. I live in Kentucky
What, exactly, do you mean by "use past txt messages"?

Zigner

Maybe I can nip this exercise in the bud:

KY is a no-fault state and does not require (nor allow) a finding of "fault" in divorce proceedings. All that matters is that the marriage is "broken". If you are worried that your husband is going to try to present evidence to the court that you were out sleeping with other people, don't. It simply doesn't matter for divorce.

You can read this site for a general overview (for reference only - not an endorsement):

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/kentucky-divorce-32139.html

Zigner

Custody battle if that is part of it. Cohabitation for purposes of alimony. I can go on.
After I asked the question of you, the custody part of things came to mind, but the OP didn't really mention kids or alimony (then again, she didn't mention much at all.) ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">