• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VickieLynn7

What is the name of your state? TX

My husband and I have been separated for 2 1/2 years. Our marriage ended six months after buying a new house. To summarize, he quite his job and stayed at home to drink. I had to make a decision and kick him out due to the fact we were so behind on our bills. (His parents took him back to get him help) He moved back to our hometown in CA, I stayed at the house and worked two jobs to keep from foreclosure. After one year struggling to keep the house, I finally had to file Chapter 13. Currently I am still living in the house and almost out of major debt. Since our separation, I have not had extra money to hire an attorney. In this time I have repeatedly attempted to get the bills put in solely my name. Our local Gas/Energy Company will not put it in my name since the title of the house reads my husband's name as the buyer & me the co-buyer. The Gas Company has my husband as the primary on this account and states that the co applicant for service does not have as many rights.
As of today, my husband decided to call all utilities and have the service shut off if any existed in his name. He refuses to work with me to get them changed over. Even though, he has not paid anything to the house since he left nor was I delinquent with the Gas service.

The Gas Company is coming tomorrow to shut my gas off and with my husband demanding them not to turn it back on in my name, they say that this is a family dispute and they can not do anything for me. They told me the only way I can get the Gas turned on in my name is fax them a Divorce Decree (which could take several months). In the meantime, starting tomorrow, I will no longer have hot water or a working gas stove. The supervisor at the Gas Company explained to me that I could not even start up new service, without my husband's consent or to show a title with only my name.
Is there anything legally I can do to prevent not having Gas in my home for several months? How can the Gas Company shut service off for someone when they are not behind, no other utility companies offer service in my area, and or are unable to provide the paperwork to them for a couple months (not sure how long it would take to get a signed divorce decree), and since my husband has had no interest in my home?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

LdiJ

VickieLynn7 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

My husband and I have been separated for 2 1/2 years. Our marriage ended six months after buying a new house. To summarize, he quite his job and stayed at home to drink. I had to make a decision and kick him out due to the fact we were so behind on our bills. (His parents took him back to get him help) He moved back to our hometown in CA, I stayed at the house and worked two jobs to keep from foreclosure. After one year struggling to keep the house, I finally had to file Chapter 13. Currently I am still living in the house and almost out of major debt. Since our separation, I have not had extra money to hire an attorney. In this time I have repeatedly attempted to get the bills put in solely my name. Our local Gas/Energy Company will not put it in my name since the title of the house reads my husband's name as the buyer & me the co-buyer. The Gas Company has my husband as the primary on this account and states that the co applicant for service does not have as many rights.
As of today, my husband decided to call all utilities and have the service shut off if any existed in his name. He refuses to work with me to get them changed over. Even though, he has not paid anything to the house since he left nor was I delinquent with the Gas service.

The Gas Company is coming tomorrow to shut my gas off and with my husband demanding them not to turn it back on in my name, they say that this is a family dispute and they can not do anything for me. They told me the only way I can get the Gas turned on in my name is fax them a Divorce Decree (which could take several months). In the meantime, starting tomorrow, I will no longer have hot water or a working gas stove. The supervisor at the Gas Company explained to me that I could not even start up new service, without my husband's consent or to show a title with only my name.
Is there anything legally I can do to prevent not having Gas in my home for several months? How can the Gas Company shut service off for someone when they are not behind, no other utility companies offer service in my area, and or are unable to provide the paperwork to them for a couple months (not sure how long it would take to get a signed divorce decree), and since my husband has had no interest in my home?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I cannot believe that is possible. Your best recourse would be to get an attorney immediately to take some action to try to stop this. However, your mayor's office may be able to assist you as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">