• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Value of degree and License?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usey158

What is the name of your state? NY

My wife fished about half of her classes for her Assoc. Degree and became an RN while we were married. My lawyer thinks i should pay to have a value put on that. She got her license about 8 years ago. We've been married 13 yrs. Does anyone have any idea what something like that might be worth? I only want to know so i can avoid having her go after my 401k.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is still entitled to a portion of your 401k. Has she worked as an RN? If not, why not? Because quite frankly you can impute an income to her but you will still have to pay a portion of your 401k. You will not necessarily have to give her alimony if she can currently get a job as an RN.

Bali Hai

My wife fished about half of her classes for her Assoc. Degree and became an RN while we were married. My lawyer thinks i should pay to have a value put on that. She got her license about 8 years ago. We've been married 13 yrs. Does anyone have any idea what something like that might be worth? I only want to know so i can avoid having her go after my 401k.
I agree with the most lovely Ohiogal.

How much does your lawyer believe you should pay to put a value on that??

Personally and without bias, my idea of what that is worth is, 50/50 property settlement and NO alimony for either party.

BTW, what does "fished about half of her classes" mean???

LdiJ

Something isn't right here. You state that she has finished half her classes for an associate's degree. If that is the case, then she cannot possibly be an RN. She can't even be an LPN with an associates degree only half completed.

usey158

She has her Degree and License

Sorry to be so vague. She had her LPN and some college credits from before we were married then after about 4 years of marriage she decided to go back to school and finish her degree, then she took the boards and got her RN license. Her earning potential was greatly increased. I have a masters degree from before we were married and she currently makes about 1/3 more than i do. As a result of getting her degree and license while married. My lawyer would like me to have a CPA determine the value of these things which would help me to offset the cost of having to give her a large portion of my 401k. It will cost about 1200 to assess the value. For example if her license is determined to be worth 50k then i can say to her i will not make you pay me that if you do not make me give you that much of my 401k.

All i am asking is, has anyone else put a value on thier spouses vocation? If they became a lawyer or Nurse or Doctor while you were married?

LdiJ

Sorry to be so vague. She had her LPN and some college credits from before we were married then after about 4 years of marriage she decided to go back to school and finish her degree, then she took the boards and got her RN license. Her earning potential was greatly increased. I have a masters degree from before we were married and she currently makes about 1/3 more than i do. As a result of getting her degree and license while married. My lawyer would like me to have a CPA determine the value of these things which would help me to offset the cost of having to give her a large portion of my 401k. It will cost about 1200 to assess the value. For example if her license is determined to be worth 50k then i can say to her i will not make you pay me that if you do not make me give you that much of my 401k.

All i am asking is, has anyone else put a value on thier spouses vocation? If they became a lawyer or Nurse or Doctor while you were married?
I have never seen that happen, ever. It may have happened somewhere, but I have never seen it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ask for temporary spousal support in order to compensate you for supporting her through school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">