• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreement with Ex-Girlfriend Regarding Common Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

escobedo

California

Last year in May of 2008 my ex-girlfrien and I broke up. At the time we both where buying a house together and owned a car together which has the title in my name, but registration in both names. I originally paid the house for 8 years and decided to get off the title so that my ex-mother in law could get on and help my ex with the mortgage. Our verbal agreement was that in one year they would refinance and make me an offer to get off the loan all together. Now they have changed there mind and say I am not getting anything and I can't get off the loan. I am concerned about my credit. The car which is a 2004 Lincoln Navigator originaly was financed by my ex-mother in law and my ex was making the payments on it for a bit or less than half of the fininced amount. In 2007 I decided to pay the truck off cash and my ex-mother in law agreed to put the title in my name, but my ex and I on the registration. The verbal agreementwas also to give me the truck back in one year and that was it. Now, I need to know what my rights are and how I should handle this matter? I went to court last year and they told me I needed an attorney due to the value of the assets which was over $25,000.00 for the truck and over $500,000.00 for the house. I can't afford one anymore, but want to get off the loan and want my truck back. I can't just go over there because she also put a restraining order on me. It has conditions where I could be around her and my kids, but just cannot harm or upset her. I think that when I ask for the truck, she will be pretty upset.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

California

Last year in May of 2008 my ex-girlfrien and I broke up. At the time we both where buying a house together and owned a car together which has the title in my name, but registration in both names. I originally paid the house for 8 years and decided to get off the title so that my ex-mother in law could get on and help my ex with the mortgage. Our verbal agreement was that in one year they would refinance and make me an offer to get off the loan all together. Now they have changed there mind and say I am not getting anything and I can't get off the loan. I am concerned about my credit. The car which is a 2004 Lincoln Navigator originaly was financed by my ex-mother in law and my ex was making the payments on it for a bit or less than half of the fininced amount. In 2007 I decided to pay the truck off cash and my ex-mother in law agreed to put the title in my name, but my ex and I on the registration. The verbal agreementwas also to give me the truck back in one year and that was it. Now, I need to know what my rights are and how I should handle this matter? I went to court last year and they told me I needed an attorney due to the value of the assets which was over $25,000.00 for the truck and over $500,000.00 for the house. I can't afford one anymore, but want to get off the loan and want my truck back. I can't just go over there because she also put a restraining order on me. It has conditions where I could be around her and my kids, but just cannot harm or upset her. I think that when I ask for the truck, she will be pretty upset.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Legally the truck is yours, although your ex girlfriend's mother (she is not your ex mother in law if you were never married to her daughter) is likely to be quite unhappy about that since she paid on the truck for 3 years.

As far as the house is concerned, did you actually sign a quit claim deed in favor of your ex girlfriend's mother without a refinance happening first?

mistoffolees

California

I don't know about California, but in most states, verbal agreements are not binding on real estate matters. You should get an attorney-it will probably be cheaper than having your credit ruined and losing your truck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">